Go Back  Xtreme Visual Basic Talk > Legacy Visual Basic (VB 4/5/6) > API > text of Statusbar panels

Old 08-26-2003, 02:39 PM
Regular

Default text of Statusbar panels

ive tried ever possible way i can think of from usingthe sendmessage to the getwindowtext but stilldont seem to get the text i want from a Statusbar.

I retrieve the statusbar hWnd from the designated window (statusbar class : msctls_statusbar32)

anyone know how to retrieve the text from the control (seems to be only one "panel" on the control
Old 08-26-2003, 03:27 PM
Martian In Disguise

Retired Moderator
* Guru *

Was this StatusBar created with API or are you using the StatusBar control included in the Microsoft Windows Common Controls component library?

Panels is a 1-based index so, if the status bar has one panel, then:
Code:
MsgBox StatusBar1.Panels(1).Text
Old 08-26-2003, 05:34 PM
Regular

Default statusbar

The Status Bar is not in my application. it is a child of another program that im intending to interact with.

i use findwindow to get hwnd of the window that the status bar is a child of, then use findwindowEX to ghet the hwnd of the status bar

now all i need to do is retrieve the text from it... which seems almost impossible
Old 08-27-2003, 05:39 AM
Martian In Disguise

Retired Moderator
* Guru *

The StatusBar may be one of those controls that in fact contains constituent controls (much like a ComboBox contains an edit class and a list class).

You may need to use the GetWindow API call to iterate through its children. The GetWindow call using GW_CHILD will provide the handle of the first constituent control and GW_HWNDNEXT will provide the handle for each subsequent constituent control. Once you have obtained the handle of the constituent control, then you should be able to use the GetWindowText API call to retrieve what it is displaying.

Note: You may need to use the GetClassName API call to identify any specifics about the constituent control that may help in making sure that you have the right one.
Old 08-27-2003, 06:24 AM
Ultimate Contributor

* Guru *

According to the file COMMCTRL.H the special messages related to status bar controls are:
Code:
Public Enum StatusBarControlMessages SB_SETTEXTA = &H401 SB_SETTEXTW = &H411 SB_GETTEXTA = &H402 SB_GETTEXTW = &H413 SB_GETTEXTLENGTHA = &H403 SB_GETTEXTLENGTHW = &H412 SB_SETPARTS = &H404 SB_GETPARTS = &H406 SB_GETBORDERS = &H407 SB_SETMINHEIGHT = &H408 SB_SIMPLE = &H409 SB_GETRECT = &H410 SB_ISSIMPLE = &H414 SB_SETICON = &H415 SB_SETTIPTEXTA = &H416 SB_SETTIPTEXTW = &H417 SB_GETTIPTEXTA = &H418 SB_GETTIPTEXTW = &H419 SB_GETICON = &H420 End Enum

Presumably sending some combination of these to the hwnd of the status bar should get the result you want...?
Old 08-27-2003, 07:30 PM
Regular

ok ive created two calls based around merrion's enum and called them
Code:
Public Declare Function SendStatusBarMessage Lib "user32" _ Alias "SendMessageA" (ByVal hwnd As Long, _ ByVal wMsg As enmStatusBarControlMessages, _ ByVal wParam As Long, lParam As Any) As Long Public Declare Function SendStatusBarMessageByString Lib "user32" _ Alias "SendMessageA" (ByVal hwnd As Long, _ ByVal wMsg As enmStatusBarControlMessages, _ ByVal wParam As Long, ByVal lParam As String) As Long
i then created a function
Code:
Function cGetText3(ByVal TheWnd As Long) As String Dim WndLength As Long, cTxt As String WndLength = SendStatusBarMessage(TheWnd&, SB_GETTEXTLENGTHA, 0&, 0&) cTxt$ = String(WndLength&, 0&) Call SendStatusBarMessageByString(TheWnd&, SB_GETTEXTA, WndLength& + 1, cTxt$) cGetText3$ = cTxt$ End Function
and call it like so
Code:
statusWnd = FindWindowEx(TheWindowsHwnd&, 0&, "msctls_statusbar32", vbNullString) statusText = cGetText3(statusWnd)

in the call it does get the right length of the text in the status bar (yes i did count them lol) but it doesnt seem to want to pull back the text..
where am i going wrong?
Old 09-08-2003, 07:07 PM
Newcomer

I had a similar problem a while ago. The status bar can be a bit tricky. I haven't tested this code, but It should work in theory. Hope it does the trick.

W.EZ

Code:
Public Declare Function SendMessage Lib "user32" Alias "SendMessageA" ( _ ByVal hwnd As Long, _ ByVal wMsg As Long, _ ByVal wParam As Long, _ lParam As Any _ ) As Long Public Declare Function SendMessageString Lib "user32" Alias "SendMessageA" ( _ ByVal hwnd As Long, _ ByVal wMsg As Long, _ ByVal wParam As Long, _ ByVal lParam As String _ ) As Long Function cGetText3(ByVal TheWnd As Long) As String Dim tBuffer As String Dim tLength As Long tLength = SendMessage(TheWnd, SB_GETTEXTLENGTHA, 0, 0) tBuffer = String(tLength, " ") tBuffer = tBuffer & Chr$(0) Call SendMessageString(TheWnd, SB_GETTEXTA, 0, tBuffer) cGetText3 = tBuffer End Function
Old 10-30-2003, 10:10 PM
Newcomer

Default any working solution???

Hello,

does anyone has a working solution for this problem. I have no problem with the above mentioned solutions as long as the statusbar is created by the same application that performs reading of the statusbar's contents.
As soon as the statusbar is located in a different application, they are not working. No problem to get the length of the texts of the different sections of the statusbar but the SB_GETTEXTA is not returning the text itself.

kind regards
MrArcticus
Old 10-31-2003, 05:35 AM
Newcomer

[QUOTEPOST]

Hmm. Have you tried playing around with different combinations of SendMessageW/SendMessageA and SB_GETTEXTW/SB_GETTEXTA. I think the 'W' suffixed methods and constants are for unicode apps. Maybe your target app is one of these?

[/QUOTEPOST]
Old 03-15-2004, 08:00 AM
Regular

Talking Thanks

Thanks to Dr. Memory.. He has release a small piece of code that clears this up. and Does it very well (as usual hehehe ).

Still not 100% sure how it does it.. but have the gist of it.

Thanks again Dr. Memory (MathImagics)

You can find the Post here:
http://www.xtremevbtalk.com/showthread.php?t=122191