Go Back  Xtreme Visual Basic Talk > Other Languages > Web Programming > VBScript to access task manager list

Old 09-08-2003, 03:01 PM
Newcomer

Default VBScript to access task manager list

Need:
I want to know if I can use vbScript to look at the task list of the Task Manager so I can search to see if a specific session of an emulator is running. Windows 2000 and XP

Background
At my job we use an emulator to get on the iSeries. Each user has there own copy of the emulator and profile.ws. We would like to have the Emulator on are Network shared drive. The problem would be each session would load in as the same workstation. I wrote some vbscipt that gets there username of there network loggin creates new profile.ws that becomes there wokstation ID for the emulator. What i need now is one more step when a user launches an emulator it can check there task manager to see if any other sessions are running so the appropriate name can be used. exp. userID johnD and in the task manager of there computer has session A, session C. currently running then it is safe to start the next session with johnD2, becasue johnD1 and johnD3 are allready running.
This was my first post my appoligies if a got long winded any help would be appreciated.
Scott
Old 09-10-2003, 12:30 AM
Newcomer

Task manager is a program. To get running processes you need api calls, i dont know if u can call api functions from scripts thats why u shld create a com object with vb and call it from ur script.
Old 09-10-2003, 06:45 AM
Xtreme Tester

Retired Moderator
* Expert *

Yes, you can call APIs through script, one just needs to download an ocx.
Old 09-11-2003, 09:47 PM
Junior Contributor

* Expert *

You can use the Win32_Process class in WMI..

here is an example

Code:
Dim objWMIService, colItems, objItem, strComputer strComputer = "." Set objWMIService = GetObject("winmgmts:\\" & strComputer & "\root\cimv2") Set colItems = objWMIService.InstancesOf("Win32_Process") For Each objItem In colItems WScript.Echo objItem.ProcessId & ":" & objItem.Name Next Set objWMIService = Nothing Set colItems = Nothing
Old 09-16-2003, 07:11 AM
Newcomer

Default One more thing

Thank you all for your help.
I researched more about the Win32 stuff there is alot of cool stuff. The sample code works good it recieves the processes. I need one more thing. The process only shows the executable that was used to run the emulator. So when you have four copies of the emulator running it shows the same program running four times. What I need is the Application name that shows up in the task manager or atleast some other indicator of what session of the emulator each occurence is. Thanks again for your help. I'm going to keep playing around with the many different WIn32_ stuff and maybe I 'll come across the answer.
Scott