Go Back  Xtreme Visual Basic Talk > Legacy Visual Basic (VB 4/5/6) > VBA / Office Integration > Excel > cells.find function does not work!

Old 09-16-2003, 10:51 AM
Newcomer

Default cells.find function does not work!

My problem is this. I have a number of sheets with football team names on them, and I need to find the cell address of any particular club. So I record the macro as I perform the task; selecting all the relevant sheets, and going to edit/find. This works perfectly while I record it, but when I run the following code I get the error message: 'Run-time error 91. Object variable or With Block variable not set'
This is the code I have recorded is:

Sheets(Array("Belgium", "Brazilian", "Danish", "Dutch", "English", "French", "German", "Irish", "Italian", "Norwegian", "Portugese", "Scottish", "Spanish", "Swedish", "Turkish")).Select

Cells.Find(What:="Glasgow Rangers", After:=ActiveCell,LookIn:=xlValues,LookAt:=xlPart,SearchOrder:=xlByRow s, SearchDirection:=xlNext, MatchCase:=False).Activate

If there is an easier way of searching for a text string in numerous sheets I would be grateful to hear it. Any help would be grately appreciated.

P.S. I can't use a lookup function, as some sheets have numerous tables on them so I have to use the find function.
Old 09-16-2003, 01:36 PM
Licensed to post

* Expert *

Try this:

Code:
Sub findTeam() Dim sh As Worksheet Dim found As Range For Each sh In ActiveWorkbook.Sheets Set found = sh.Cells.Find("Glasgow Rangers", , xlValues, , , , False) If Not (found Is Nothing) Then sh.Select found.Select Exit Sub End If Next End Sub

Old 09-16-2003, 04:30 PM
Senior Contributor

Hi Mark007 - that's a nice, piece of code.

Would it take you much to modify it to keep looking for additional match's, each time you run it?
Old 09-17-2003, 03:28 AM
Freshman

like that?
Code:
Sub findTeam() Dim sh As Worksheet Dim found As Range For Each sh In ActiveWorkbook.Sheets Set found = sh.Cells.Find("Glasgow Rangers", , xlValues, , , , False) If Not (found Is Nothing) Then sh.Select found.Select Call someOtherSub Do Set found = .FindNext(found) If found Is Nothing Then Exit Do found.Select Call someOtherSub Loop While Not found Is Nothing End If Next End Sub
Old 09-17-2003, 04:10 AM
Licensed to post

* Expert *

Yes though you probably need a check in there on the loop that checks the found cell address isn't the same as the first found cell address.
Old 09-17-2003, 04:21 AM
Freshman

True, but I didn't know how to check for that address in the beginning sheet only, if you know what I mean. I was just lazy
Old 09-17-2003, 05:40 AM
Newcomer

Default Thanks (One last array question)

Many thanks to those who have helped with this, particularly Mark007.

I have one small request for help, then my code is done.

Rather than search the whole workbook, I can eliminate some sheets (which I know will have the team name in and thus possibily confuse matters). So in essence I just need an array of correct sheets; something like the code below. But what do I declare 'myshts' as?, and how to I populate 'myshts' with the correct infromation?

Dim myshts As Object
Dim sh as worksheet

myshts = Sheets(Array("Belgium", "England", "etc"))

For Each sh In myshts

'code to search for team'

Next

Cheers

H
Old 09-17-2003, 06:03 AM
Down...

Retired Moderator
* Expert *

Could go like this :
Code:
Dim MySheets As Variant, i As Integer MySheets = Array("Belgium", "France") For i = LBound(MySheets) To UBound(MySheets) Sheets(MySheets(i)).Find(blablabla etc code... Next i
On how to populate that array of sheets ??
Hmm maybe you could store the names of the sheets you want to
search in a column and loop through those names so there is no array needed.
Like :
Code:
Private Sub CommandButton1_Click() Dim i As Integer 'assumes the sheetnames stored in column a of the sheet with this button on For i = 1 To Range("A1").End(xlDown).Row Sheets(Cells(i, 1).Value).Find(blablabla etc code... Next i
Old 09-17-2003, 07:43 AM
Newcomer

Default Thanks

Many thanks,

Code works beautifully.

Cheers to all

H

p.s. Sorry, I didn't know about the vb tags for including code
Old 09-23-2003, 06:16 AM
Licensed to post

* Expert *

Quote:
Mark,

Would you mind posting a (find next) version of your code at this link where the user was looking for his football teams. - Your code works great to find the first instance, but I have not been able to get anyone elses code (in that thread) to work and having that routine be able to find the next match, each time it runs, is something that I have a good use for.

Many Thanks - Frank
Ok Frank, I think this should meet your needs. I was trying to think of a way that didn't involve me rewriting the find function and also didn't involve select but in the end I couldn't so here is the solution I came up with. You need to run Multifind to run a search and then when you want to run a different new search run the newSearch macro. Obviously it would be much improved to add a modeless userform that has a textbox and findnext button as per the actual find facilaty as this would negate the need to have 2 macros.

Anyway enough talk, here it is:

Code:
Dim firstAddress As String Dim x As String Sub newSearch() x = vbNullString firstAddress = vbNullString MultiFind End Sub Sub MultiFind() Dim stIndex As Integer Dim curIndex As Integer Dim lastIndex As Integer Dim found As Range If x = vbNullString Then x = InputBox("Enter search string:") End If If Len(Trim(x)) Then stIndex = ActiveWorkbook.ActiveSheet.Index curIndex = stIndex lastIndex = ActiveWorkbook.Worksheets.Count Do Set found = ActiveWorkbook.Worksheets(curIndex).Cells.Find(x, ActiveCell, xlValues, xlPart, xlByRows, xlNext, False) If found Is Nothing Or firstAddress = getAdd(found) Then If InStr(1, ActiveWorkbook.Worksheets(curIndex).Range("a1").Value, x, vbTextCompare) > 0 Then Set found = ActiveWorkbook.Worksheets(curIndex).Range("a1") End If curIndex = curIndex + 1 If curIndex > lastIndex Then curIndex = 1 End If firstAddress = vbNullString ActiveWorkbook.Worksheets(curIndex).Select ActiveWorkbook.Worksheets(curIndex).Range("a1").Select Set found = Nothing ElseIf firstAddress = vbNullString Then firstAddress = found.Address End If Loop Until Not (found Is Nothing) Or curIndex = stIndex If found Is Nothing Then MsgBox "Item not found" Else found.Select End If End If End Sub Function getAdd(ob As Object) As String If ob Is Nothing Then getAdd = vbNullString Else getAdd = ob.Address End If End Function

Hope that does what you were after.