Go Back  Xtreme Visual Basic Talk > Legacy Visual Basic (VB 4/5/6) > VBA / Office Integration > Excel > Select and copy just Cell Content (not the Cell itself) by VB macro

Old 10-12-2003, 04:20 AM
Newcomer

Question Select and copy just Cell Content (not the Cell itself) by VB macro

Hi,
my problem is that I can select the content of Cell in Excel sheet [by doubleclicking (or F2) onto the Cell and simply select the whole text inside] and copy it as text.
But I cannot do this by macro.

Is there any chance to select content and copy it by VB macro?
Old 10-12-2003, 05:28 AM
Senior Contributor

Are you trying to enter the active cells text, so that you have a cursor for editing, as F2, or double clicking does. Thats what you started out describing, but when you through in the word copy, I became unsure. - Please explain again.

If you want to copy your active cells text, to another location, you don't need to select your text that way, even if it is just a certain portion of the text, that you want to copy. Could I ask you to give a piece of sample data from the activecell (as in all of the text that might be contained there in), and any special result that you want, (if any), in the destination cell. That would include things like just copying part of the text in the activecell, or converting a date or number to text, etc.

Last edited by tboltfrank; 10-12-2003 at 05:39 AM.
Old 10-12-2003, 05:50 AM
Down...

Retired Moderator
* Expert *

Record a macro while doing what you want to achieve and "Bingo"...
there you go.
Old 10-12-2003, 06:25 AM
Junior Contributor

CuCuBe

What you are wanting to accomplish can be done using the
Code:
Selection.PasteSpecial Paste:=xlValues

Mike
Old 10-12-2003, 07:23 AM
Privileges Suspended

range("B1").Value=range("K1").Value
Old 10-13-2003, 12:15 AM
Newcomer

Wink

Quote:
Originally Posted by CuCuBe
Hi,
my problem is that I can select the content of Cell in Excel sheet [by doubleclicking (or F2) onto the Cell and simply select the whole text inside] and copy it as text.
But I cannot do this by macro.

Is there any chance to select content and copy it by VB macro?

I know about the possibility of pasting by special way and I also can make a new macro by recording while doing what I want
BUT this won't help me
the only thing I want is to have the content of Cell in the Clipboard (not the Cell but its content!!).
Is this possible to do by a macro?
Old 10-13-2003, 01:58 AM
Down...

Retired Moderator
* Expert *

Aha,your question is a little better explained now.
Can i assume you want to copy the cell (value only) to an other application ?
Not shure it is possible to get only the cell value into the clipboard but
as a workaround you could use a textbox to store the cell value in
before you copy to the clipboard.
Check out the VBA help files for "DataObject" if you want to manipulate the clipboard.
Old 10-13-2003, 08:13 AM
Newcomer

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by italkid

Check out the VBA help files for "DataObject" if you want to manipulate the clipboard.

Thanks,
DataObject helped me

cucube
Old 10-14-2003, 03:15 AM
Senior Contributor

Thanks Italkid,

Once again, I'm amazed at what you've managed to pull out of your magic bag

From the information that you gave about looking into the DataObject, in the Help files, here’s some code from a section of the related Help topics that I came across. I only added the source of the TextBox's value, as the ActiveCell Value and used a sheet TextBox, instead of a UserForm.. - I would have NEVER had any idea of the existance of the DataObject, or where to look, without you suggesting it

With the aid of a single Sheet TextBox, this routine copied a cell value to the clipboard and let me paste it to Word, without the cell.
Code:
Sub Clipboard_Value_WOutCell() Dim MyData As DataObject Set MyData = New DataObject ActiveSheet.TextBox1.Value = ActiveCell.Value MyData.SetText ActiveSheet.TextBox1.Text MyData.PutInClipboard End Sub
I have a use for doing this with a random Range and quantity of cells. I have two idea's for possibly putting together some code to do that. The first, would be to loop thru the Range and add all the values together (with a space in-between each one), then dump the accumulation into the TextBox. - Or I think I could manage writing a formula that concatenates them together, in much the same way, but I hope that I don't get stuck on the variable Range aspect of it. - I'll report back on what I come up with, within the next day. - Unless I see that someone else does it first.

Last edited by tboltfrank; 10-14-2003 at 03:27 AM.
Old 10-14-2003, 10:36 AM
Senior Contributor

Ahh, no textbox needed. - Thought I tried this, but I must not have.
Code:
Sub ClipboardValueWOutCell() Dim MyData As DataObject Set MyData = New DataObject MyData.SetText ActiveCell.Value MyData.PutInClipboard End Sub