Go Back  Xtreme Visual Basic Talk > Legacy Visual Basic (VB 4/5/6) > Installation / Documentation > Help - System Error &H8007007E (-2147024770). The specified module could not be found

Old 02-12-2003, 06:53 PM
Aussie Joel

Smile Help - System Error &H8007007E (-2147024770). The specified module could not be found

Hi all,

I work for a relatively small software company whom develop in VB6 and have been given the task to research on the system error mentioned in the title that is becoming quite common amongst our users .

I realised that I was not alone, and many people worldwide were experiencing this issue which prevents software to install on some XP machines. I thus now realise it is a XP issue.

I have also concluded it is an issue concering DLL and OCX files. Apparently duplicates of certain types of DLL and OCX's prevent the installation of some software on XP manchines. I am still a bit sketchy on the exact details and thus why I put it out to the forum.

Does anyone know anything about this System error and what exactly causes it? Any help whatsoever would be GREATLY appreciated! Also does anyone know of a patch of some sort that clears up this problem?

Thanks very much for any insight into this.
Old 02-12-2003, 11:13 PM
Code Factory

Retired Moderator
* Expert *

This may not help, take a look anyway http://search.microsoft.com/default....4770&siteid=us
Old 02-13-2003, 12:56 AM
Codeaholic

Retired Leader
* Guru *

When does this error occur? Randomly in the middle of your program running? Right when your program loads? or when running an install package to install your application?

If it occurs during program execution is it reproduceable? if so can you reproduce it on a machine with VB installed so you can debug it?
Old 02-13-2003, 06:26 PM
Aussie Joel

Thanks guys for your responses,

Robby, thanks for the links. I have actually had a look at those previously but they aren't really all that much help.

Optikal, the error occurs when after installation and when the software is opened for the first time - "The error System Error &H8007007E (-2147024770) appears and the simulation does not start" is what one user told us.

If we could get the error to reproduce (which I am not sure can be done as we do not really know the conditions that cause the error in the first place), can we debug it in VB seeing it is a System error and not a code specific error?

Again, thanks for you help with this.
Old 02-13-2003, 08:44 PM
Codeaholic

Retired Leader
* Guru *

My guess would be that the install package isn't installing a specific component that your app needs. Some machines may already have it, which is why it works on some and not others.

And if you can reproduce it you can debug it by stepping through the code, and figuring out what line causes the crash. VB will then close at that point, but you will at least know what line is causing the crash.

What are you using to install your app? Are you just creating an install package using the Setup And Deployment Wizard that comes with VB. If so that installer is FULL of problems, and should not be used in any type of commercial or business environment. There are several free ones, VSI and/or MSI from Microsoft (not sure if they arae the same thing or not, but I hear they are excellent). Or you could buy a professional install package such as Installshield, or WISE.
Old 02-22-2003, 04:31 AM
mastadoja

Angry i get the same error message

i get the same error message..i think its missing dll files in c:\windows\system folder but im no computer genius..does anyone know what this is all about? i get the EXACT same message when trying to open some newly installed programs..if anyone can help me with this i would soooo gladly appreciate it..thanks
Old 02-22-2003, 04:53 AM
Senior Contributor

mayBe when you had install it some dll or ocx... was not right installed and then it doesn't work right. Try to reinstall it.
Old 03-09-2003, 11:34 AM
Newcomer

Unhappy Same problem

I'm having the same problem with the software my company is developing. The problem only seems to occur on windows xp home and pro.

We have about 14000 users registered with our software

It seems when we switched installers from wise to setup factory that the errors occur more frequently. I've gotten it to the poin that it's one of the ms made dll's causing it and not ours. I can't seem to figure out much more about it other then that fact that it only happens when the program first loads. Having users reinstall vb runtimes does not seem to work either :/

Just out of curiosity what dll's/ocx's does your software use that are ms ones that some users may not have (ie. vs studio installs them and normal users lack them)?
Old 03-15-2003, 10:43 AM
Newcomer

System Error &H8007007E (-214024770). The specified module could not be found. Thats the error I get. It's really annoying me..All these programs that I want to use does this...figuires :|
Old 03-15-2003, 09:58 PM
Newcomer

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeetdOm
System Error &H8007007E (-214024770). The specified module could not be found. Thats the error I get. It's really annoying me..All these programs that I want to use does this...figuires :|
I think I've hypothesised whats going on, but I will leave it up to yourselves to work out the best way of fixing it (if it's the case).

I believe that 2000 and XP are known for being more Multithreading orientated, which means they process more tasks at the same time as their old counterparts like Win95/98.

I mention this because I believe that is where this problem originates, Win95/98 would attempt to install the OCX/DLL files but it would real off like an interpreter line by line, block by block.

Due to the multithreading of the newer windows versions the files try to install in a speedier way, through multithreading.

This means that when a DLL/OCX has a Registeration attempt, it finds it's not there yet (it attempts the registeration too early).

If this is proven to be the case, I would be suprised if a new Service pack could fix the problem.
Old 04-14-2003, 07:37 PM
Aussie Joel

Quote:
Originally Posted by stryder
I think I've hypothesised whats going on, but I will leave it up to yourselves to work out the best way of fixing it (if it's the case).

I believe that 2000 and XP are known for being more Multithreading orientated, which means they process more tasks at the same time as their old counterparts like Win95/98.

I mention this because I believe that is where this problem originates, Win95/98 would attempt to install the OCX/DLL files but it would real off like an interpreter line by line, block by block.

Due to the multithreading of the newer windows versions the files try to install in a speedier way, through multithreading.

This means that when a DLL/OCX has a Registeration attempt, it finds it's not there yet (it attempts the registeration too early).

If this is proven to be the case, I would be suprised if a new Service pack could fix the problem.

This may very well be the case!

I would just like to add that after countless hours I have come across a provisional solution. This is to re-register all the dll and ocx files that the application requires. I am now going back through to see if it is a specific file that is creating the problem, but if you re-register them all then it works.

You can do this manually using the regsvr32.exe tool from windows, going to run and typing:

regsvr32.exe "(dll/oxc path and filename)" , eg regsvr32.exe "C:\Windows\System32\comctl32.ocx"

I hope this helps some you guys out there - I know just how frustrating this issue is. The funny thing is that Microsoft have not said a work about it - not even addressed in the Service Packs.
Old 05-03-2003, 09:34 PM
Newcomer

Default Help - System Error &H8007007E (-2147024770). The specified module could not be found

Finally found which file that is causing the error. The file msinet.ocx is the culprit.
Ran regsvr32.exe c:\windows\System\msinet.ocx. Now the problem is solved. Program is working correctly.

Thanks,

Thewizard
Old 05-26-2003, 08:05 AM
Newcomer

Question System Error &H8007007E (-2147024770).

I am continuing to get System Error &H8007007E (-2147024770). for my windows XP. Weird thing is that the application was running fine, but now it does not seem to detect the .ocx files etc. Anyone else solved this?
Thanks,
Steven
Old 05-28-2003, 04:24 AM
Newcomer

I get the same error message when I try and open a file called IRC Proxy Checker. I'm looking around trying to figure things out and if I do I'll tell you all about it. Right now I'm checking out a folder called "Ole DB". On my PC it's located at C:/Program Files/Common Files/System/Ole DB
Anyways it's got a bunch of .dll files in it and there's a few text files that list a bunch of &8H...... in them. Might wanna check it out, I odnt know. Well thats all I know for now, just started checking it out about 20 minutes ago.
Old 05-30-2003, 05:56 AM
Newcomer

Default Hallajuah

Hello. I have found THE SOLUTION to our problem.
You need to download a program called Advanced Administrative Tools (It costs $50 BUT you can use it free for like a month).
Install it to your PC.
Run the program.
Choose "Registry Cleaner" in the options. It's at bottom right.
Choose the tab "Invalid Entires".
Click on the green arrow to start the scanning. You can choose the speed it will go, but the faster you choose the more CPU it will take up.
Once it has scanned all of your registries, it will list the Invalid entires. Right click and choose "Select All" then right click and select "Delete".
I know the word "delete" on a PC seems kinda scary, but it actually places the files in the "BackUp" tab.
That's it. It worked 100% for me. Not only did it fix the problem but my PC runs better and faster because of it.
NOTE: I'm still not sure which of the invalid registries was causing the problem, but if you find out I'd like to know. Thanks!
Good luck!
Old 05-31-2003, 05:43 AM
Senior Contributor

Where can I download this app? Can you show any Link to a download?
Old 05-31-2003, 12:40 PM
Newcomer

Thumbs up irrelevant subj

Hey, I'm no vb wiz like the rest of you but I just wanted to say you peeps are off the hook! Thanks for your helpful posts, I was so confused on this error. Okay, sorry for the non-vb related msg, won't do it again.
Old 05-31-2003, 08:43 PM
Newcomer

Old 06-12-2003, 09:37 PM
Newcomer

I know this post is old but this is definately a registration prob. Before you package your files for deployment, make sure you reg all the dll and ocx files first. If you still have the problem, then your program is probably using a control that you are unaware of...
Old 06-17-2003, 02:21 PM
Newcomer

Question Follow-up Questions

I just encountered this error message during a beta test of a product that I am developing. The product is an Outlook Add-in that uses a custom OCX and DLL, in addition to a small number of other libs (see below).

Is the solution that I understand running the registry cleaner, which in a retail s/w environment is not feasable. My application works fine on my PC, yet bombs on one of the remote beta testers.

Below is the files section of my install script (I am using Inno):
[Files]
Source: "PATH\VB6STKIT.DLL"; DestDir: "{sys}"; Flags: uninsneveruninstall restartreplace
Source: "PATH\COMCAT.DLL"; DestDir: "{sys}"; Flags: uninsneveruninstall regserver restartreplace
Source: "PATH\STDOLE2.TLB"; DestDir: "{sys}"; Flags: uninsneveruninstall regtypelib restartreplace
Source: "PATH\ASYCFILT.DLL"; DestDir: "{sys}"; Flags: uninsneveruninstall restartreplace
Source: "PATH\OLEPRO32.DLL"; DestDir: "{sys}"; Flags: uninsneveruninstall regserver restartreplace
Source: "PATH\OLEAUT32.DLL"; DestDir: "{sys}"; Flags: uninsneveruninstall regserver restartreplace
Source: "CPATH\msvbvm60.dll"; DestDir: "{sys}"; Flags: uninsneveruninstall regserver restartreplace
Source: "PATH\PropertyPage.ocx"; DestDir: "{app}"; Flags: regserver ignoreversion
Source: "PATH\Redemption.dll"; DestDir: "{app}"; Flags: regserver ignoreversion
Source: "PATH\rems.pst"; DestDir: "{app}"; Flags: ignoreversion
Source: "PATH\REMSai.dll"; DestDir: "{app}"; Flags: regserver ignoreversion
Source: "PATH\REMmerge.txt"; DestDir: "{app}\WordMerge"; Flags:
Source: "PATH\ccrpDtp.ocx"; DestDir: "{app}"; Flags: regserver ignoreversion