Go Back  Xtreme Visual Basic Talk > Legacy Visual Basic (VB 4/5/6) > Communications > Sending ASCII in HEX RS-485 commands

Old 11-05-2003, 04:36 PM
Newcomer

Default Sending ASCII in HEX RS-485 commands

Hi,

I need to send commands from Host to Instrumnets and back
ASCII in HEX format (RS-485).
I know what the commands are but I don't know how to write it in the
VB code.

Commands exapmles:

Typical WRITE command (Host write to Instrument):

<stx> L <addr> <----------Data--------------> <cksm> <etx>
02 4C 33 32 30 32 30 30 30 30 31 35 46 46 37 39 03

Insrument reply:

<stx> L <addr> <-Data-> <cksm> <ack>
02 4C 33 32 30 30 31 31 06

**If someone can show me how to implement this protocol in VB code
I'll be more then glad.

Thanks, Tzachi
Old 11-05-2003, 09:36 PM
Code Meister

Retired Moderator
* Guru *

The people who made your rs-485 card should have included a driver or at least instructions. Often, you will need to write to a port address in which case you will need something like inpout32.dll which you can find at www.lvr.com
Old 11-05-2003, 11:35 PM
Newcomer

Unhappy

Hi again,

The example I wrote in my first qustion was from the vendor instruction book, but my problem is that I don't know how to send this string of data
in VB format and there isn't any document for that.

you wrote that often you need to use the dll file in order to send data to specific port but if I send the address inside the string isn't just enough?

Thanks again,
Tzachi
Old 11-05-2003, 11:39 PM
Newcomer

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillSoo
The people who made your rs-485 card should have included a driver or at least instructions. Often, you will need to write to a port address in which case you will need something like inpout32.dll which you can find at www.lvr.com

Hi again,

The example I wrote in my first qustion was from the vendor instruction book, but my problem is that I don't know how to send this string of data
in VB format and there isn't any document for that.

you wrote that often you need to use the dll file in order to send data to specific port but if I send the address inside the string isn't just enough?

Thanks again,
Tzachi
Old 11-06-2003, 12:41 AM
Code Meister

Retired Moderator
* Guru *

No, if I understand your example correctly, the address in your code is the address of the device on the RS-485 network.

The port address I refer to is on your system itself and is a gateway where the commands you send get onto the network. For instance, the port address of the serial port COM1 on your system is (by default) &H03F8. Now it may be that this method won't be necessary. If you are lucky, the manufacturer will have included some driver kit that will allow you to communicate with your port. For instance, I've seen drivers that are ActiveX DLLs or EXEs. This would be easiest for you since all you would need to do is set a reference to the driver.