Go Back  Xtreme Visual Basic Talk > Legacy Visual Basic (VB 4/5/6) > General > Convert number of characters to twips

Old 11-26-2003, 02:28 PM
Regular

Question Convert number of characters to twips

I have data loading into a spreadsheet where I'd like to be able to control the width of the first column. I can count the number of characters in all of my rows and select the one value which has the most characters in it.

How can I convert the number of characters into a value of twips?

I know the value of twips/pixel, twips/inch, etc, but I haven't found one for twips/character. I realize the value changes based on the Windows Font Size, but I really haven't found any relevant documention.

Thanks in advance...
GB
Old 11-26-2003, 02:30 PM
'With Full Right'

Retired Moderator
* Guru *

Maybe the "TextHeight method" & "TextWidth method" (see the MSDN) would be helpful...
Old 11-26-2003, 03:00 PM
Regular

I found this in MSDN, but I don't think it's accurate as the type of font and the font size seems to effect the length... I guess I've answered my own question.

Quote:
vbCharacters 4 Character (horizontal = 120 twips per unit; vertical = 240 twips per unit)
Code:
Private Sub Command1_Click() Dim str As String Dim sing As Single str = Text1.Text sing = Len(str) 'READJUST WIDTH OF TEXTBOX TO ACCOMPANY TEXT Text1.Width = singl * 120 End Sub
Old 11-26-2003, 03:45 PM
Promising Talent

Retired Moderator
* Guru *

Quote:
Originally Posted by gablackburn
I guess I've answered my own question.

I don't agree. I think PlenoJure's answer was much more useful. If you set the font of the form to the font you're using, the form's TextWidth property will give you the width that the text needs to print.

Also note that any calculation based on the width of one character is only useful for fixed width fonts.