Go Back  Xtreme Visual Basic Talk > General Discussion > Random Thoughts > What was your project to code at college?

Old 12-04-2003, 08:59 PM
Newcomer

Default What was your project to code at college?

Hi,

I'm fairly new in the world of programming. But it's something i find myself doing more and more.

Hopefully next year I want to go back to college to gain certification for skills i've learned already and stuff i will go on to learn. Basically as a proof "I Can Do This" to a potential employer.

Along my path to becoming a professional programmer , i hope to create an application in visual basic, and then "try" port it to other languages to give myself a clear view of the pro's and cons to each.

So my question to you is. What was your project at college? .. And also what's the main parts you think should be learned to leap into the employment world. Ie. Database, Internet etc.

Many Thanks

Martin
Old 12-05-2003, 07:28 AM
MetaCenturion

Retired Moderator
* Guru *

I made an interpreted language in VB.
The more you know (somewhat), the better your chances of getting a job.

Iceplug, USN
Quadrill 1 Quadrill 2 (full) Quadrill 3 JumpCross .NET Website is ALIVE! - DL Platform Tour for VB.NET! Posting Guidelines Hint: Specify your location in your user cp profile if you want compassion!
Old 12-05-2003, 02:48 PM
Senior Contributor

* Expert *

In one project my team and I made tests to be presented online, like the cisco academy tests and now the app is used by every new student the university has, and that reminds me, try getting certified.
Old 12-06-2003, 04:42 AM
Mostly Absent

* Expert *

As our 3rd (final) year project, in groups of 6 we used the Extreme Programming approach to create a fully featured guitar editing program. My group got the highest mark in class
Sometimes It happens, feelings die, Sometimes
Old 12-08-2003, 08:34 AM
Regular

Hello

Sorry but i don't know what you call college in the US. But here i Australia i created a single player and network multiplayer battleships for my IPT project. I made it this year (2003) and i am in Year 11 (16yrs old). If you want to download it to see it then it is on my web site at http://jonorossi.f2o.org.

And with getting a job i don't know because i haven't got many so far but one thing to remember they don't understand what you do so be careful how you explain things to them or they wont give you the job. Remember they come to you because they don't know how to do it. And also don't take on a job if you really don't know what you are meant to do or don't have any idea how to do it because you will only give yourself a bad name because you will not produce a quaility project.

Jono
Old 12-08-2003, 11:33 AM
Senior Contributor

Still in college, but the last project I was given was to do a clone of a commonly used windows program (like calculator, mspaint, solitaire,etc). Did MSPaint and learned a lot of api()