Go Back  Xtreme Visual Basic Talk > General Discussion > Tech Discussions > VB6 vs VB.NET

Old 01-31-2004, 06:43 AM
Junior Contributor

Default VB6 vs VB.NET

C++ has more OOP in it than VB6, but VB6 also has a much smaller learning curve. Also, VB6 can develop applications with much faster development time, than many other languages. Now VB.NET is equal to C++ as OOP but I think that VB6 can develop applications with much faster development time, than VB.NET. Is true that?
I know that VB.NET can make more things from VB6 but if compare the same code between VB6 and VB.NET i see that VB6 code is smaller than VB.NET code. Also VB.NET is more complex than VB6.
Thanks
Old 01-31-2004, 07:37 AM
MetaCenturion

Retired Moderator
* Guru *

Iceplug, USN
Quadrill 1 Quadrill 2 (full) Quadrill 3 JumpCross .NET Website is ALIVE! - DL Platform Tour for VB.NET! Posting Guidelines Hint: Specify your location in your user cp profile if you want compassion!
Old 01-31-2004, 07:47 AM
Keeper of foo

Retired Moderator
* Guru *

Vb.Net is much faster as far as application development time.
Old 01-31-2004, 08:13 AM
Junior Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by reboot
Vb.Net is much faster as far as application development time.

Reboot, look the below example codes for understand which is easiest and faster as far as application development time

Code:
' VB6 code Dim x As Long Randomize Timer x = Int(Rnd*9)

Code:
' VB.NET code Dim RandomNumber As System.Random RandomNumber = New Random(System.DateTime.Now.Millisecond) RandomNumber.Next(0, 8)
Old 01-31-2004, 08:33 AM
Keeper of foo

Retired Moderator
* Guru *

That means absolutely nothing. You can hardly compare the need to type extra characters to do a particular thing to the actual "development" of a large application. The introduction of Inheritance to VB alone is a major gain in development time.
Old 01-31-2004, 09:54 AM
Junior Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by reboot
That means absolutely nothing. You can hardly compare the need to type extra characters to do a particular thing to the actual "development" of a large application. The introduction of Inheritance to VB alone is a major gain in development time.

For make little functions means many. And this is only one example. Also exist many other examples that it show vb6 is easiest and faster as far as application development time.
How the below code can do a particular thing to the actual "development" of a large application? If can't, the additional characters do not have meaning.

thanks

Code:
Dim RandomNumber As System.Random RandomNumber = New Random(System.DateTime.Now.Millisecond) RandomNumber.Next(0, 8)
Old 01-31-2004, 10:57 AM
Keeper of foo

Retired Moderator
* Guru *

Obviously I'm talking about commercial software and you're talking about AOL punters... *shrug*
Old 01-31-2004, 11:18 AM
Contributor

Never judge a book by its cover.

Although the syntax may be more complicated, .NET is a much more flexible and powerful language, with many of the features that VB6 should have but didn't come with.

Shame that the compiler is slow

3L Designs
Old 01-31-2004, 01:11 PM
Newcomer

As someone who has only recently moved from VB6 to VB.Net (and still struggling with some basic concepts - excuse the pun), I do feel that while VB.Net is 'harder', it does tie me into more structured and disciplined coding, it makes me think more about what I want to do and what is the best way to go about it.
Old 01-31-2004, 09:28 PM
Centurion

what exactly is vb.net?
Old 01-31-2004, 09:37 PM
Senior Contributor

Retired Leader
* Expert *

Default VB6 vs VB.Net

Quote:
Originally Posted by dan_
what exactly is vb.net?

You must have missed Reboot's "Sticky" thread (" What is the difference between legacy VB and VB.Net?") at the top of the Random Thoughts Forum page. Here's the link:

http://www.xtremevbtalk.com/t134402.html

Basically it's the next version of VB after VB6 that integrates VB into the Microsoft "Net" framework...

And just to add my $0.02 - It would have been nice if Microsoft had provided a better set of migration tools/wizards or maybe had an interim version like VB6.5 that sort of was a "bridge" version that would have introduced some of the .Net framework and still be able to develop under the "legacy" Win O/S of Win98SE...But I know this has happened before when so much VB3 code had to be rewritten (or abandoned) in the upgrade to VB4. There was a lack of smooth migration tools then also...

Last edited by anon; 01-31-2004 at 09:48 PM.