Go Back  Xtreme Visual Basic Talk > Other Languages > Web Programming > Search function not working, urgent help needed

Old 02-24-2004, 08:19 AM
Centurion

Default Search function not working, urgent help needed

Dear all, I ask for your forgiveness for the huge amount of code I am going to dump.

I believe my problem (which I am about to explain) lies with either toolbar.js or search.asp.

The process flow is as follows:

The user clicks on index.asp and a page called top_bar.asp opens up and asks the user to select a search option.
Depending on the user's choice, a javascript function called function openSearch() (which is in toolbar.js) is invoked.

Depending on your search type, search.asp is called.
Say for instance, you want to search for address, once you select "Address" under Search by (top_bar.asp), toolbar.js is supposed to determine that you want to search by address by calling search.asp to open the "Enter Address" search box.

So far, after selecting say, address as a search option, search.asp is invoked but instead of opening the search box to search for address, it always returns blank.

I just can't figure out where the problem is coming from.

Here are the toolbar.js and search.asp pages.

Please, please, I am begging for your assistance.
This has stumped me now for 2 days.

toolbar.js
<language="JavaScript">
function openSearch() {
var search_type = top.top_bar.document.buttonForm.search.options[top.top_bar.document.buttonForm.search.selectedIndex].value;
window.open("search.asp?atype="+search_type,"searchWin","width=500,hei ght=400,scrollbars,resizable,status");
top.top_bar.document.buttonForm.search.selectedIndex = 0;
}
</script>

search.asp
Code:
<html> <head><title>Search</title> <script language="javascript" src="toolbar.js"></script> <link rel="stylesheet" type="text/css" href="styles.css"> </head> <body onLoad='window.focus()'> <% dim atype Response.Write "<div align='center'>" select case atype case "owner" Response.Write "<font size='-1'>Enter name (e.g., smith john)</font><br>" Response.Write "<form name='owner_search' method='post'>" Response.Write "<input type='text' name='owner' size='20'>" Response.Write "<input type='submit' name='action' value='search'>" Response.Write "<input type='hidden' name='actionh' value='search'>" Response.Write "</form>" case "pin" Response.Write "<font size='-1'>Enter parcel PIN:</font><br>" Response.Write "<form name='owner_search' method='post'>" Response.Write "<input type='text' name='pin' size='20'>" Response.Write "<input type='submit' name='action' value='search'>" Response.Write "<input type='hidden' name='actionh' value='search'>" Response.Write "</form>" case "address" Response.Write "<font size='-1'>Enter the address</font><br>" Response.Write "<form name='situs_search' method='post'>" Response.Write "<input type='text' name='situs' size='20'>" Response.Write "<input type='submit' name='action' value='search'>" Response.Write "<input type='hidden' name='actionh' value='search'>" Response.Write "</form>" Response.Write "<i><Font size='2' color=#660066><B>Do not abbreviate any word in street name <br>" Response.Write " If you have problems try just a part of the street name<br>" Response.Write " ex. '141 Pryor' -- finds 141 PRYOR SRTEET SW, <br>" Response.Write " '5165 WELCOME ROAD' -- finds 5165 WELCOME ALL ROAD</font></i>" case "street" Response.Write "<font size='-1'>Enter street name</font><br>" Response.Write "<form name='situs_search' method='post'> " Response.Write "<input type='text' name='street' size='20'>" Response.Write "<input type='submit' name='action' value='search'>" Response.Write "<input type='hidden' name='actionh' value='search'>" Response.Write "</form>" case "landlot" response.write("<form name='landlot_search' method='post'>" &_ "Enter tax district <select name='dist' size='1'>" &_ "<option value='11'>1-1</option>" &_ "<option value='12'>1-2</option>" &_ "<option value='21'>2-1</option>" &_ "<option value='22'>2-2</option>" &_ "<option value='06'>06</option>" &_ "<option value='07'>07</option>" &_ "<option value='08'>08</option>" &_ "<option value='09C'>09C</option>" &_ "<option value='09C'>09F</option>" &_ "<option value='13'>13</option>" &_ "<option value='14'>14</option>" &_ "<option value='14F'>14F</option>" &_ "<option value='15'>15</option>" &_ "<option value='17'>17</option>" &_ "<option value='18'>18</option>" &_ "</select>" &_ "and land lot <input type='text' name='landlot' size='4'>" &_ "<input type='submit' name='action' value='search'>" &_ "<input type='hidden' name='actionh' value='search'>" &_ "</form>") end select response.write "</div>" response.write atype response.end IF actionh = "search" Then Select Case atype Case "address" %><!--#include file="situs_search.asp"--><% End Select End If %> <body> <html>
Old 02-24-2004, 08:51 AM
Contributor

Hello,

I believe you need to set atype to your passed in querystring...
Code:
atype = Request.QueryString("atype")

hope this helps

p.s. I don't think you can perform dynamic includes like you're trying to do at the bottom of your code... I've seen a few posts on here about that before...
Old 02-24-2004, 09:16 AM
Centurion

It worked beautifully.
Thanks a bunch!
Old 02-24-2004, 09:31 AM
Centurion

p.s. I don't think you can perform dynamic includes like you're trying to do at the bottom of your code... I've seen a few posts on here about that before

You are right about this.
Do you have any idea how to fix this?

Second, when I perform a search, it doesn't appear like any values are being passed to the search page.

For instance, I enter 2355 Mansel Drive in address search, it does nothing.
Old 02-24-2004, 09:50 AM
Contributor

You can't "fix" ths include problem, however if I understand your page correctly...

It appears that you are trying to pass your search string to situs_search.asp... If this is correct, then you should be setting the "action" attribute of your forms to "situs_search.asp" as opposed to including it... Since you're using "post" as the method of all of your forms, you'll be able to access the value(s) being passed to situs_search.asp by using Request.Form("FormControlNameGoesHere")

Hope this helps
Old 02-24-2004, 10:57 AM
Centurion

Thanks again, partner.
Just one last question.

Looking at the search.asp with the case statements,
the control here would be situs_search, right?
I don't know why it isn't working.
Old 02-24-2004, 11:02 AM
Contributor

No problem!

The controls I'm referring to are the <input> and <select> tags...

For example: if you were doing your address search, you'd refer to Request.Form("situs") to get the value that the user entered... If you were doing your landlot search, you'd refer to Request.Form("dist") to get the value the user selected...

In other words, you have to Request.Form() whatever the name of the control is you're trying to get the value for...

Make sense now?
Old 02-24-2004, 11:12 AM
Centurion

Yes, it does.
Your help is truly appreciated.
The reason all these problems are cropping up is because I just translated 3 php codes into asp including the include statement we are talking about.
And by the way, I used situs = request("situs").
I just wanted to isolate the problems.
Thanks again!
Old 02-24-2004, 11:22 AM
Contributor

Glad I could help

Just FYI - the reason I specify Request.Form() and Request.QueryString() is that it makes it easier for me to tell where the item being requested is from. Incidentally, if you don't specify where you're requesting from, IIS checks in the following order: QueryString, Form, Cookies, ClientCertificate, ServerVariables