Go Back  Xtreme Visual Basic Talk > Legacy Visual Basic (VB 4/5/6) > VBA / Office Integration > Excel > How to select current row in Excel

Old 02-27-2004, 02:57 PM
Newcomer

Default How to select current row in Excel

I've just got into using VB in Excel in the last few days. I learn mostly by recording macros and playing with them and using help.

Anyways, I just need to know how to select the current row so that I can search for something only within that row.

Its probably a very basic task, but thanks for your help.
tab
Old 02-28-2004, 05:25 AM
Unashamed geek

Retired Moderator
* Expert *

What are you trying to do? You don't need to select a row in order to refer to it in code.
Old 02-28-2004, 05:39 AM
Down...

Retired Moderator
* Expert *

Could :
Code:
ActiveCell.Row 'or ActiveCell.EntireRow
be of any use...?
Old 02-28-2004, 07:17 AM
Banned

There are certains good coding-practice that the macro-recorder don┤t take into consideration which also imply that You should only use it if You need to find out more about specific objects, properties and methods.

Below You find a example and You should always make sure that You use vriables and explicit declare all the variables. In that way You also avoid to increase the number of dots when working with the objects and so on. In that way the impact of the performance will increase.

As herilane pointed out: There is no need to select the objects we would like to work with.

Personally I prefer, at least in public forums like Extrema, to use the hierarchy of the objects in use. In that way we can also achieve a better understanding of the structure and how objects are related to each others.

Code:
Option Explicit Sub No_Selection_Explicit_Declaration_Variables() Dim wbBook As Workbook Dim wsSheet As Worksheet Dim rnCheck As Range, rnFind As Range Dim stAddress As String Set wbBook = ActiveWorkbook Set wsSheet = wbBook.ActiveSheet With wsSheet Set rnCheck = .Range("1:1") End With With rnCheck Set rnFind = .Find(What:="XL-Dennis", LookIn:=xlValues, lookat:=xlWhole) If Not rnFind Is Nothing Then stAddress = rnFind.Address Do rnFind.Font.Bold = True Set rnFind = .FindNext(rnFind) Loop While Not rnFind Is Nothing And rnFind.Address <> stAddress End If End With End Sub

Good luck with Your coding!

Dennis