Go Back  Xtreme Visual Basic Talk > Other Languages > Web Programming > ADODB.Recordset error '800a0cc1' (definately not a typo)

Old 05-13-2004, 11:15 AM
Centurion

Default ADODB.Recordset error '800a0cc1' (definately not a typo)

I get Error in the second to last line in
Code:
	objRS.CursorLocation = adUseServer
	objRS.CursorType = adOpenKeyset
	objRS.LockType = adLockOptimistic
	objRS.Open "Forum Entry", objConn, , , adCmdTable

objRS.AddNew
	If(strSubject <> "") Then objRS("Subject") = strSubject
	objRS("Login ID") = "Unknown"
When i've commented out that line, the error simply moves to the next line. I am positive that both fields exist, and that the table exists. I've also tried full version of objRS.fields("Subject").value = strSubject, but it did not help.

Anarchopedia Freenet Electronic Frontier Foundation
Old 05-13-2004, 01:37 PM
Verbose Coder

Retired Moderator
* Guru *

One possible problem could be the ADO constants...

Are you using option explicit in your page?

Code:
<% Option Explicit %>
And/or do you have the ADO constants included in your page? (I'm not sure how you do it, but they aren't known to your ASP by default).

Using option explicit would cause errors to occur if the ADO constants aren't defined. You could always use the numeric values instead of the constants.

Paul

PS - I guess I should mention that all of this is assuming you're doing this in ASP!

Last edited by PWNettle; 05-13-2004 at 01:44 PM.
Old 05-13-2004, 02:44 PM
Web Junkie

Retired Moderator
* Expert *

Exactly what error are you getting. You're just telling us that you get one.

You could also be using a non-updatable query. What does your SQL Statemnt look like that you are using to create your recordset. If it contains more than one table you can't add to it using the rs.AddNew.
Old 05-14-2004, 03:50 AM
Centurion

Quote:
Originally Posted by wayneph
Exactly what error are you getting. You're just telling us that you get one.

You could also be using a non-updatable query. What does your SQL Statemnt look like that you are using to create your recordset. If it contains more than one table you can't add to it using the rs.AddNew.
It was an error saying that the field doesn't exist. I've solved that problem with recreating the ODBC connection (for some reason it was reading field names from older version of the database, while accessing the new one... ???). But now i have another problem When i do update on the RecordSet i get an error saying that the DataBase is ReadOnly. However, i open in with adLockOptimistic (ie. not read only).
Also i've tried to write a dummy SQL statement that simply inserts some values in the recordset, SQL runs while in Access, but when i .Execute it from ASP script i get the error also. Is there something that you know that might put me in the right direction?

Anarchopedia Freenet Electronic Frontier Foundation
Old 05-14-2004, 07:22 AM
Xtreme Tester

Retired Moderator
* Expert *

What about Paul's advice? Are you defining all the ADO constants somewhere?
Old 05-14-2004, 07:23 AM
Web Junkie

Retired Moderator
* Expert *

You mentioned that you opened it with LockOptimistic. I'm assuming that you're still using KeySet since that was from your initial question. Try using adOpenStatic instead. See if that helps.

If you are using Access:
Make sure that the internet user has write permission on the directory that your database is in. It won't work for just the file because it also needs to create the .ldb Lock file.

If you are using SQL Server:
Make sure the user you are using has proper permissions to the tables you are attempting to write to.

Other than that post the code where you create your connection (take out a password), create your recordset, and update your recordset. There may be something else that we're missing...