Go Back  Xtreme Visual Basic Talk > General Discussion > Tech Discussions > Software Engineering Final Graduation Project Idea

Old 07-08-2004, 08:53 PM
Centurion

Question Software Engineering Final Graduation Project Idea

Hi, I'm a student who is seeking for Final Graduation Project Ideas for Software Engineering. It should be develop within 2 1/2 months, also previos of the development I have to do 3 things:

1.) Background Information (Theorical Background)
2.) Object Oriented Analysis
3.) Object Oriented Design.

I have to send proposal before 16 of this month. It should meet the following:

1.) Innovative
2.) Educative
3.) Non Commercial

Some project ideas that I cannot take because they are taken by other students are:

1.) Object Oriented Compiler with a somewhat nice editor
2.) Network Monitoring
3.) Lexical and Sintactical Analyzer Generators for C#/Java (Like a Flex/Lex and Yacc/Bison for generating C# / Java code)
4.) A strategic game with AI such that computer learns from users
5.) WYSYWIG HTML editor for Linux (Like having a Dreamweaver for Linux)

If anybody has a suggestion idea it would be welcome and I'll appreciate your help.

Also I had this idea I want you to tell me if it is ok:

A type of chat for software engineers in which other than chatting and having a voice conversation, there is a big canvas in the middle of the screen in which you could do one of the following:

1.) Discuss Relational Database Design
2.) Discuss a Flow Chart of a Project
3.) Discuss programming code of any language, in special .Net / Java
4.) Any other that can come in my mind

The main idea is for example when two or more programmers want to discuss a Relational Databse Design and they can see the diagram, anybody who modifies the diagram will be reflected in the others screen like adding fields, modifying fields, adding / modifying relations, etc... This way we would have a nice tool for working online between software engineers.

I would like to know if it is a good idea, if it's difficulty level is high enough to be accepted for a Sofware Engineer Final Project Graduation (has to be individual project) for developing it in 2 1/2 months , that is no more than 10 weeks, if it is able to be done, if I can use office integration in order to save a lot of complicated work, if there is a software that acts the same.

I would really appreciate any comments, suggestions, any new ideas for project graduation.

Thanx for taking your time reading.
Old 07-09-2004, 08:39 AM
Ultimate Contributor

Forum Leader
* Expert *

I would suggest something that 1. is not on that list 2. will offer you great real-world experience 3. can be done in the 2.5 months. That suggestion would be what we had to do for our senior project.

Basically, you go and solicit a business (small business preferably) and offer to create a program for them to use, free of charge. For instance, find a small electrician who has 4 or 5 guys working for him and create an application that handles his service calls and stuff. Or, find a small trucking company and write a program to handle tracking of their work orders since they are currently using paper only. You can use VB with an Access backend, or even the free MSDE.

Network monitors, statistical thingies, game AI, etc. are all nice to know how to do, but when you graduate, what will look better on your resume? A Linux editor or a real-world business application? When you go to interview for jobs, which project will help you develop the skills that the vast majority of employers are looking for?

Once you take that into perspective, you will find lots of ideas for you project. Good luck!

Useful forum tags: [VB][/VB], [CODE][/CODE], [HTML][/HTML]
Old 07-09-2004, 03:44 PM
Centurion

Smile

I know that a real world business application is better, but the University strictly wants a type of application like the Linux WYSYWIG Editor, they DON'T WANT COMMERCIAL APPLICATIONS, there were lots of companies that had complained about that project graduation and that that's why they don't keep in mind students graduating from that university, but anyway the university is the one who tells who graduates and by what terms, and doing an innovative, non-commercial and educational application is the way to graduate, I don't have any choice. Can't go to a company and make them an application to solve their problems for a project graduation. It has to be applications such as the list I mentioned.

Thanx anyway for your comments and suggestions. Any other person's comments, suggestions, ideas, etc. Will be welcome and I will appreciate it very much.
Old 07-09-2004, 08:47 PM
Senior Contributor

Retired Leader
* Expert *

Default Project Ideas Suggestion Sticky Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by siu
Thanx anyway for your comments and suggestions. Any other person's comments, suggestions, ideas, etc. Will be welcome and I will appreciate it very much.
Did you read through the "Project Ideas/Suggestions?" sticky thread at the top of the Tech Discussions forum?

It has lots of ideas for projects from fellow forum members:
http://www.xtremevbtalk.com/t102959.html
Old 07-10-2004, 02:41 PM
Centurion

Default Yep, I'm almost through reading

Yep, I'm almost through reading. Anyway ideas are welcome here.