Go Back  Xtreme Visual Basic Talk > Legacy Visual Basic (VB 4/5/6) > File I/O and Registry > reading 5txtfilels,checking for duplicate and saving the duplicate in 1file and the

Old 08-25-2004, 03:06 AM
Newcomer

Red face reading 5txtfilels,checking for duplicate and saving the duplicate in 1file and the

please help

I'm still new in vb and I'm trying to read 5 txtfiles and checking for duplicate records then write the duplicate records in their file(outputfile) and then write the rest of the records into an output file.

duplicates in their output file
non duplicate in their output file
Old 08-25-2004, 03:24 AM
Senior Contributor

You should first check this link for learning more about writing/reading from files.

So you should do something like this (supposing that each record in on a different line):
Code:
Dim strtextfile As String Dim strtextfile1 As String Dim strtextfile2 As String Dim strtextfile3 As String Dim lines() as String dim logic as boolean dim duplicate as string dim nonduplicate as string hfile = FreeFile Open "file1.txt" For Input As #hfile strtextfile1 = Input$(LOF(hfile), hfile) Close #hfile hfile = FreeFile Open "file2.txt" For Input As #hfile strtextfile2 = Input$(LOF(hfile), hfile) Close #hfile hfile = FreeFile Open "file3.txt" For Input As #hfile strtextfile3 = Input$(LOF(hfile), hfile) Close #hfile ' and so on until 5 ' after than concatenate them into a single file strtextfile=strtextfile1 & vbcrlf & strtextfile2 & vbcrlf & strtextfile3 ' after that split the string by the vbcrlf character (newline) lines=split(strtextfile,vbcrlf) ' then check each value to see if it's a duplicate for i=0 to ubound(lines)-1 logic=true for j=i+1 to ubound(lines) if lines(i)=lines(j) and (lines(i) <>"" or lines(j) <> "") then duplicate=duplicate & vbcrlf & lines(i) lines(j)="" logic=false end if next j ' if no duplicate found then add that line to nonduplicates if logic then nonduplicate=nonduplicate & vbcrlf & lines(i) end if next i ' then write the duplicate to the duplicate.txt and nonduplicate to nondup.txt or wherever you want

I've written this code now for giving you a general idea on how you should think this problem... don't copy-paste it because it won't work

Last edited by an5w3r; 08-25-2004 at 03:40 AM.
Old 08-25-2004, 06:48 AM
Newcomer

thanks for help,I realy appreciate it .We got the program working now but we only have one problem.We don't want the program to clean the duplicate out,but to copy the duplicate into a duplicate output file.(leaving the origional record in the file and just copying it) the duplicate must also be written into the output file with the other records)

Please help
Old 08-25-2004, 08:38 AM
Senior Contributor

You can open the file for append if you want to add informations after the last line. Check
gavin0's tutorial on writing and reading from the Tut's Corner.
Old 08-25-2004, 09:27 AM
Unashamed geek

Retired Moderator
* Expert *