Go Back  Xtreme Visual Basic Talk > Legacy Visual Basic (VB 4/5/6) > Database and Reporting > connecting to a database

Old 09-10-2004, 06:16 AM
Newcomer

Question connecting to a database

I am wondering if there is a way to connect to a particular table within a database. Right now I have a vb program that connects to an access database that has one table in it, but I would like to connect it to a different database that has about 10 tables. Is there a way to specify the particular table you want the vb program to link to?

Would it sort of look like this?
Code:

Set db = ws.OpenDatabase(App.Path & "\database.mdb")
Set rs = db.OpenRecordset("Table", dbOpenTable)
Thanks,

Dennis
Old 09-10-2004, 06:20 AM
Senior Contributor

hi

I don't know esactly what do you refer. If you connect to a database, using the RecordSource property you can SELECT * FROM thetableyouneed to use, or selecting a couple of them at the same time if you need.
Old 09-10-2004, 06:24 AM
Newcomer

I am trying to connect a visual basic program to an access database. It already works with the existing database, but I want to use a different database. What I am wondering is if the code I gave above will connect to a table in a database.

The reason I am asking this is because as I mentioned, it already works with an existing database, but when I export the table the program uses in the existing database, import it into the new database, change the name on the database that I want to connect to, I get an error saying the either the database or the table is not there, which is incorrect because they are there.

The 2 databases are in the same folder, so they paths are the same. I can't think another reason why this isn't working.
Old 09-10-2004, 06:30 AM
Senior Contributor

Yes, but you have written this

Quote:
Set db = ws.OpenDatabase(App.Path & "\database.mdb")
Set rs = db.OpenRecordset("Table", dbOpenTable)
if you say that this works in other connections MAY work with others databases. But what I asked you before is what objects are you using to connect? I mean, DB and RS how are they declared
Old 09-10-2004, 06:34 AM
fully realized avatar

Super Moderator
* Expert *

Smile

I have tried this before. I only have one ADO connection and two Access Database files.

I established my connection on Database1. I placed Database2 in the same folder where my application is in.

Here is a sample Query Statement:

Database1 has a table named EMPLOYEES with fields (EMPLOYEE_NUMBER,FIRSTNAME,LASTNAME).

Database2 has a table named EMPLOYEES with fields (EMPLOYEE_NUMBER,FIRSTNAME,LASTNAME).

Code:
SELECT A.FIRSTNAME,B.LASTNAME
FROM    EMPLOYEES A, DATABASE2.EMPLOYEES B
WHERE  A.EMPLOYEE_NUMBER = B.EMPLOYEE_NUMBER
Old 09-10-2004, 06:47 AM
Senior Contributor

well .. I don't know If its possible to set two connections at once in the same queary, and maybe this is not an ellegant soluttion, but you can try to put two ADOs instead one and connect each of them to a different database, then make a bucle for comparing the values you are getting
Old 09-10-2004, 06:50 AM
Centurion

Perpel is right. Better use ADO programming for this. If you haven't use ADO before, here is a place to start http://www.xtremevbtalk.com/showthre...threadid=66994
Old 09-10-2004, 09:01 AM
Cum Grano Salis

Retired Moderator
* Guru *

Are you looking for a query that will span two databases. For this, you should use the Jet OLEDB provider. Then you can create one query to bring back data between multiple Jet databases, between Access and Excel, etc...since all use the same data provider.

Basically something like this:

Code:
'just as an example insert into this database from antother strInsert = "INSERT INTO mytable SELECT * FROM [MS Access;DATABASE=C:\Testing.mdb].[Clients]" 'execute into THIS active connection cn.execute strInsert