Go Back  Xtreme Visual Basic Talk > Legacy Visual Basic (VB 4/5/6) > General > Need to check if CD drive is closed and if it has a disc inserted

Old 10-05-2004, 06:27 AM
Newcomer

Default Need to check if CD drive is closed and if it has a disc inserted

I need to check to see if a CD drive is open or closed and if it has a disc in the drive. I have searched through the forum and found some code regarding checking if a disc is in the drive, but it doesn't make a distinction between an open and closed drive.

My program needs to check for data on a disc. If it doesn't find the data, it ejects the drive and asks the user to insert the proper disc. When the user inserts the disc and clicks "OK" it should proceed properly. However, I am encountering a problem where it is checking the CD again after the "OK" is clicked, but it hasn't yet registered that there is data on the new disc, so it returns to the "insert proper disc" screen unnecessarily.

Any ideas?
Old 10-05-2004, 07:57 AM
Senior Contributor

the following will firstly check if the specified drive is ready (ie, closed with a cd mounted) then if the drive is ready it will check to see if any files exist on the drive.
Code:
Private Sub Check4Files() On Error Resume Next Dim result As String result = Dir("D:\", vbNormal) If Err.Number = 52 Then MsgBox "Drive not ready." Timer1.Enabled = True 'Start checking for mounted cd again Else If result = "" Then MsgBox "No files found." Else 'do what you want to do 'when there are files found End if End If End Sub

to check when the drive is closed you can use something like this...
Code:
Private Sub Timer1_Timer() On Error Resume Next Dim result As String result = Dir("D:\", vbNormal) If Err.Number = 52 Then MsgBox "Drive not ready." Else Timer1.Enabled = False 'stop timer so we dont do this again Check4Files 'when we have a cd call the Check4Files sub End If End Sub

Last edited by Jonny; 10-05-2004 at 08:02 AM.
Old 10-05-2004, 11:04 AM
Newcomer

Thanks!

But, I notice you used the same check for the door being open as well as a disc in the drive, namely the "Dir" command. If the door is closed, but there is no disc, I will get the same error as if the door is open.
Old 10-05-2004, 06:55 PM
Senior Contributor

well... you will have to go to a lower level of programming than vb if you need this information. I wrote some ASM for college that detects this... but you would have to find a way of using it in your vb app as i dont have time to make it portable.

Give me a post if you want to use it and i will dig it out
Old 10-05-2004, 10:18 PM
Centurion

Small problem in your code. You check driver D
Quote:
result = Dir("D:\", vbNormal)
If Err.Number = 52 Then
so only machine have CD drive name D run well with your code.
Is there anyway to check out how many driver and which is CD driver?
Old 10-05-2004, 11:15 PM
Hydrogen Powered

Administrator
* Expert *

Quote:
Originally Posted by evil13
Small problem in your code. You check driver D so only machine have CD drive name D run well with your code.
Is there anyway to check out how many driver and which is CD driver?
You can use the API function GetLogicalDrives to determine what drive letters exist on a system, and then based on that information you can scan them to determine what type they are with GetDriveType.
"With the appearance of the AddressOf operator, an entire industry has developed among authors illustrating how to do previously impossible tasks using Visual Basic. Another industry is rapidly developing among consultants helping users who have gotten into trouble attempting these tasks." -Dan Appleman
Old 10-10-2004, 03:37 AM
Junior Contributor

Use webbone's suggestions to enumerate all CD drives then try this to determine whether a CD drive is open or closed and if it has a disc in the drive.

Code:
Public Function IsCDDriveOK(ByVal DriveToCheck As String) As Boolean Dim Buffer As String ' clear previous errors Err.Clear On Error Resume Next ' CurDir$ checks to see if drive exists Buffer = CurDir$(DriveToCheck) If Err.Number > 0 Then MsgBox "Drive does not exist" Else ' Dir$ check to see if CD present Buffer = Dir$(Left$(DriveToCheck, 1) & ":\") If Err.Number > 0 Then MsgBox "CD not present" End If End If ' return result based on errors IsCDDriveOK = (Err.Number = 0) End Function