Go Back  Xtreme Visual Basic Talk > Legacy Visual Basic (VB 4/5/6) > Communications > inet1.execute

Old 11-05-2004, 04:56 PM
Freshman

Default inet1.execute

Okay, How does the Inet execute code work? I mean, Ive seen it used in like 16 different ways and I cant figure out how to work it properly... none of my codes work for it. (im trying to upload to an FTP, I have set username and password and url.) I know theres about 50 threads on FTP uploading already but I just cant figure it out!

EDIT: Oops, Meant to post this in communications... I forgot what forum I was in, Sorry..
Old 11-05-2004, 05:03 PM
Newcomer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay666
Okay, How does the Inet execute code work? I mean, Ive seen it used in like 16 different ways and I cant figure out how to work it properly... none of my codes work for it. (im trying to upload to an FTP, I have set username and password and url.) I know theres about 50 threads on FTP uploading already but I just cant figure it out!

EDIT: Oops, Meant to post this in communications... I forgot what forum I was in, Sorry..
I know a limited amount about the Inet control, but here goes nothing.

If you're using FTP, basically it works like this:

Code:
Inet1.Execute , "lcd /directory"
The above will change the local directory to /directory. So basically you can use any commands in the Execute routine that you can in an FTP client. If you want to use the HTTP protocol, you could do something like this:

Code:
With Inet1
    .URL = "http://www.google.com"
    .Execute , "GET"
End With
That will get the contents of http://www.google.com and you can use the Inet1.GetChunk method to get the contents of it.

Hope this helps and I hope that I didn't mislead you with any of my help. Like I said, I know a very limited amount as I am somewhat new with VB6 (have been using it for a little under a year) so I could be wrong.

~Kevin
Old 11-05-2004, 05:18 PM
Freshman

Thanks, Ill make a note of that, I didnt know them.

Could anyone tell me how I would go about doing the upload using inet1.execute method? I want to upload richtextbox1's content into the file list15.txt.

Thanks.
Old 11-05-2004, 05:29 PM
Newcomer

Try something like this: (I put this together quickly...)

Code:
Dim FileNum As Integer
FileNum = FreeFile
Open Environ("TEMP") & "\list15.txt" For Output As #FileNum
Print #FileNum, RichTextBox1.Text
Close #FileNum

Inet1.Protocol = icFTP
Inet1.RemoteHost = "ftp.myserver.com" 'Change to your FTP server
Inet1.UserName = "username"
Inet1.Password = "password"
Inet1.Execute , "ascii" 'I assume you want a text file :)
Inet1.Execute , "lcd " & Environ("TEMP")
Inet1.Execute , "cd /dir/to/upload/to" 'Change this to the directory to upload to.
Inet1.Execute , "put list15.txt"
Try that.
Old 11-05-2004, 05:46 PM
Freshman

I tested it and I got the error "Still executing last request" So I hit debug and it highlighted "Inet1.Execute , "put list15.txt""... Any idea how to fix it?

EDIT: I tested it again... It seems to highlight a random line of the code, not just "Inet1.Execute , "put list15.txt""...
Old 11-05-2004, 05:56 PM
Newcomer

Hm...

Try putting this after each of the Inet1.Execute statements:

Code:
While Inet1.StillExecuting
    'Wait for it to stop executing
Wend
Old 11-05-2004, 06:14 PM
Freshman

Gah, The code makes the program stop responding... I have no idea why...

Heres the full code:
EDITED OUT CODE so the page doesnt get too long, My other post has the new code..

Last edited by Jay666; 11-05-2004 at 06:59 PM.
Old 11-05-2004, 06:34 PM
Newcomer

Lol, after a while of looking for a solution to this, your problem is simple:

You have the While loop after you set the password as well. It should only go after Execute commands.
Old 11-05-2004, 06:50 PM
Freshman

Oh yea, I read your post wrong! lol, I thought it said to put it after all the inet commands, not execute commands... thanks!
Old 11-05-2004, 06:58 PM
Freshman

Hm... It stills stops responding... ive edited the code to:
Code:
Private Sub Command2_Click() Dim dlfile As String Dim FileNum As Integer 'On Error GoTo Error 'Form3.Show Form2.Command2.Enabled = False Label1.Caption = "Connecting..." dlfile = Inet1.OpenURL("http://**.**.**/list15.txt") If dlfile = "" Then MsgBox ("Error: File could not be downloaded") Form1.Label1.Caption = Form1.Label1.Caption + vbNewLine + "[" + Time$ + "]: " + "Error: File could not be downloaded" Else Form3.RichTextBox1.Text = dlfile Label1.Caption = "Adding...." If Form3.RichTextBox1.Find("||" + Text2.Text + "||") = -1 Then Form3.RichTextBox1.Text = Form3.RichTextBox1.Text + vbNewLine + "||" + Text2.Text + "||" Label1.Caption = "Uploading..." FileNum = FreeFile Open Environ("TEMP") & "\list15.txt" For Output As #FileNum Print #FileNum, Form3.RichTextBox1.Text Close #FileNum Inet1.Protocol = icFTP Inet1.RemoteHost = "**" Inet1.UserName = "**" Inet1.Password = "**" Inet1.Execute , "ascii" 'I assume you want a text file While Inet1.StillExecuting Wend Inet1.Execute , "lcd " & Environ("TEMP") While Inet1.StillExecuting Wend Inet1.Execute , "cd /" 'Change this to the directory to upload to. While Inet1.StillExecuting Wend Inet1.Execute , "put list15.txt" While Inet1.StillExecuting Wend dlfile = Inet1.OpenURL("http://**.**.**/list15.txt") Form3.RichTextBox1.Text = dlfile Else MsgBox ("ERROR: Username already in list.") End If If Form3.RichTextBox1.Find("||" + Text2.Text + "||") >= 0 Then Form1.Label1.Caption = Form1.Label1.Caption + vbNewLine + "[" + Time$ + "]: " + "Added " + Text2.Text Label1.Caption = "Added " + Text2.Text Else Form1.Label1.Caption = Form1.Label1.Caption + vbNewLine + "[" + Time$ + "]: " + "Failed to add " + Text2.Text Label1.Caption = "Failed to add " + Text2.Text End If End If Exit Sub Error: Resume Next End Sub

Last edited by Jay666; 11-05-2004 at 07:10 PM.
Old 06-10-2009, 11:58 AM
Newcomer

I know this is 5 years old now, but it might be worth adding an explanation in case anyone does a search for help with this and gets this far...! I wonder if there should be a DoEvents in the wend loop?