Go Back  Xtreme Visual Basic Talk > Other Languages > Web Programming > Control 'imgSubmit' of type 'ImageButton' must be placed inside a form tag with runat

Old 12-16-2004, 05:03 AM
Freshman

Default Control 'imgSubmit' of type 'ImageButton' must be placed inside a form tag with runat

I'm getting a strange error message when I attempt to run this code. It compiles fine. I'm trying to create na imagebutton - a clickeable image. Can you help me please?

HTML Code:

HTML Code:
<asp:ImageButton id="imgSubmit"
runat="server" 
AlternateText="Click here to calculate the amount"
ImageAlign="left"
ImageUrl="images/EN.jpg"></asp:Imagebutton>
Code-behind file:

Code:
Sub imgSubmit_Click(ByVal sender As Object, ByVal e As ImageClickEventArgs)
Response.Write("click detected")
End Sub

But I'm getting the following error message:

Control 'imgSubmit' of type 'ImageButton' must be placed inside a form tag with runat=server.
Description: An unhandled exception occurred during the execution of the current web request. Please review the stack trace for more information about the error and where it originated in the code.
Exception Details: System.Web.HttpException: Control 'imgSubmit' of type 'ImageButton' must be placed inside a form tag with runat=server.

It is in a form tag as follows:

Code:
<form id="DccResult" name="DccResult" action="DccSelection.aspx?BaseCurrency=EUR&amp;Culture=EN&amp;BaseAmount=166.56"
method="post">
Any ideas? I'm confused! Please help!
G
Old 12-16-2004, 06:40 AM
Newcomer

Web controls need to be placed in a server form to work. A server form is a form that has an attribute called runat which is set to the value "server" like this:

<form runat="server">
</form>

As you are using a standard form, not a web form, you can't use web controls. Either make a page with a server form, or don't use the web control for an image button - use <input type="image"...> instead.