Go Back  Xtreme Visual Basic Talk > General Discussion > Tech Discussions > can a laptop get too cold?

Old 01-25-2005, 12:14 PM
Senior Contributor

Default can a laptop get too cold?

I noticed that the minimum operating temperature for a laptop seems to be around 40F. I think this is due to the battery. If I am not concerned about the battery, can I run a laptop colder? Also, would it damage the hard drive or the LCD screen? I would like to boot up the laptop at temperatures aroun 0 F to 20 F. Any thoughs would be helpful. Thanks.
Old 01-25-2005, 01:03 PM
Google Hound

Retired Moderator
* Guru *

Unknown. And, probably unknowable, without testing.

There are so many factors involved.

First, the operating temperature of most systems & devices rated for office environments is usually around 0-40 degrees C. (32-104 F)

Your system might operate OK at lower temps, but it might not. Nothing should be physically damaged, but, data on any storage devices may get garbled. For instance, consider this: Almost all physical materials contract when cooled. This would include disk platters. Now, a disk platter is pretty small - 2-3 inches for a laptop. But, the platter would shrink a bit. However, the read-write heads and their supports may not (in fact, probably don't) shrink/expand thermally at the same rate as do the platters. There will be a point at which the data which was read (and verfied at a low temperature) would be unreadable when the disk drive warmed back up, since the tracks would "move" relative to the heads. Conversly, data written at "normal" temperatures may not be readable at low temperatures. And, the higher the drive capacity, the narrower the track-to-track distances, and the more temperature sensitive the drives may be.

also, items with moving parts usually have lubrication, which responds to lower temperatures by getting more viscous and making the moving devices harder to move.

Finally, the electronic circuits themselves "drift" with temperature. And, without analyzing the circuits and the devices (and tolerances of same) there would be no way to predict their behavior over a range of temperatures.
"To understand recursion, you must first understand recursion." ~ unknown
Old 01-25-2005, 01:11 PM
Senior Contributor

Default thanks

Thanks. That was very useful. I think I will probably just try it out. Winter is coming so we will find out soon. LCDs should not freeze, I know I have noticed my cell phone is blurry until it warms up. Also, how serious is frost/condensation? Condensation is formed from something being warm (computer running) and then cooling (after turned off)?
Old 01-25-2005, 01:18 PM
Google Hound

Retired Moderator
* Guru *

Actually, condensation occurs when a cold device is exposed to warm air, which can hold more water vapor than can cold air.

EVERYONE'S specs read "Non-Condensing" when specifying ambient temperature/humidity conditions. So, don't take the laptop from a cold location to a warm location without taking precautions (like sealing the computer in a plastic bag first, and allow it to reach ambient before opening the bag.

Conversly, when moving the computer from a warm location to a cold location, allow air to flow through it, else air trapped inside could condense as it cools. (flush the warm, moist air, iow)

Low storage temps generally are in the 0 degrees F range. So nothing should be physically damaged, but as I said, you system may not even boot up at low temperatues, and if it does, any data (including windows registry settings) that are written to nearly all the time, may preclude your system ever working again without a complete reformat of the hard drive. At the least, be sure to make a complete registry backup on removable media, and make sure all your data is backed up first.
"To understand recursion, you must first understand recursion." ~ unknown
Old 01-25-2005, 01:24 PM
Senior Contributor

Default cool

Cool. I have no data to worry about. And I am using an older laptop, so I am not super worried about destroying it. I did not want to just be stupid and try something without at least getting someone's opinion. I cant wait for winter to come so I can try how it works when it is real cold If you were curious, i thoungt I would let you know what I am doing. I am setting up a laptop in my car. I am going to use a power inverter and a GPS. The only problems I though about were theft (should not be too bad because I am in good areas, and it is an old laptop). And temperature after it has been sitting all night. Recently it has been around 10F and it gets coler than that. ANd the laptop would be sitting there all night, so it would be freezing by the morning. Then when I get in my car, it takes forever to warm up, not to mention inside the laptop could take 1-3 hours to warm up if it is not turned on (the box insulates it...). So I would be firing up the laptop as soon as I get in the car, and so it would have to operate at pretty cold temperatures. THe only other problems involved would be vibration from driving...
Old 02-14-2005, 07:12 PM
Senior Contributor

Default run

What happens if you run your electronics like a laptop when it is in the too hot or too cold. What is the diffrnece between operating and storage temperatures? What is wrong with operating it at storage temperatures? Why do they even post those numbers? Especially the cold number, because cold is good for computer
Old 02-15-2005, 06:12 AM
Freshman

Well, as just mentioned above by Loquin, getting too cold is not good for a computer.

This might though be a bit overreacted, because the thing he mentioned, a harddisk, becomes pretty hot (20-50 C) and periodically re-calibrates its read/write heads.

And when storing a device, no parts will be moving, so can either not be damaged when too cold and forced to move (like, very unlikely, say, your cd-tray has frozen ). This way the temperatures differ from when either storing or using them.

Hope I'm clear, I can't yet express myself in English very well
Old 02-16-2005, 10:30 AM
Senior Contributor

Default recalibrate

That is pretty intresting what you said about the hard drive recalibrating? Does that mean it will work at any temperature? How does it recalibrate?
Old 02-16-2005, 02:21 PM
Newcomer

Every laptop has a recommended safe range of operating temperature. A laptop is much like you and me: it does not like to work in temperatures outside its 'Comfort range' and usually does not like to work near the outer ranges of that temperature range, either.

A safe operating temperature range is about 41 to 95o F (5 to 35o C). This does not mean that the laptop just needs to be in an environment within that temperature range, but that it must be allowed to warm or cool to a temperature in that range. For example, if you've had the laptop in a cold car and bring it inside, you should allow several minutes for the laptop to warm to room temperature before you operate it (this will also minimize potential problems from condensation).
Old 02-16-2005, 04:41 PM
Junior Contributor

...Just a thought, but if the LCD's liquid crystal is actually liquid, the screen might actually bulge or crack or break or something when frozen. I don't know whether liquid crystal expands or compresses when it's frozen, but you never know.
Old 02-16-2005, 04:56 PM
Senior Contributor

I've had my laptop in the trunk of my SUV in -30C weather, and it still works. Nothing wrong with the screen. Just wrap the laptop in a plastic bag while you're in the cold - that traps the low-humidity cold air so you won't have as much of a condensation problem when it warms up.
Old 02-17-2005, 10:42 AM
Senior Contributor

Default cool

Cool! Thanks.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Squishy
I've had my laptop in the trunk of my SUV in -30C weather, and it still works. Nothing wrong with the screen. Just wrap the laptop in a plastic bag while you're in the cold - that traps the low-humidity cold air so you won't have as much of a condensation problem when it warms up.