Go Back  Xtreme Visual Basic Talk > Legacy Visual Basic (VB 4/5/6) > Database and Reporting > how to save data clicked from combobox to database

Old 02-23-2005, 11:57 PM
Centurion

Default how to save data clicked from combobox to database

this is the case... i need to choose A-Z in my combo... so what do i do to have whatever letter is clicked on the combo will be saved into databse?

tnx.
Old 02-24-2005, 12:45 AM
Hydrogen Powered

Administrator
* Expert *

You'll need to get the value of the combo box { Combo1.List(Combo1.ListIndex) }. open a connection to your database, and then either execute an INSERT command or create a new recordset, store the value, and Update.

If you aren't familiar with all of these things I'd suggest taking a look at the ADO Tutorial in our Knowledge Base
"With the appearance of the AddressOf operator, an entire industry has developed among authors illustrating how to do previously impossible tasks using Visual Basic. Another industry is rapidly developing among consultants helping users who have gotten into trouble attempting these tasks." -Dan Appleman
Old 02-24-2005, 12:55 AM
Centurion

okay. tnx...

here's the situation i have three textboxes for student id, first name, surname and the combobox for the middle initial... does this mean, i will have to create separate recordsets for the data for the texboxes and the data for the combobox?
Old 02-24-2005, 01:02 AM
Hydrogen Powered

Administrator
* Expert *

If I am understanding you correctly, NO. If those three items are all fields in the same table then you just need one recordset.

I'd really suggest you go through the ADO Tutorial as well as loquin's excellent Standards and Practices tutorial - understanding how certain things about databases work will help you properly create your database and organize your information.
"With the appearance of the AddressOf operator, an entire industry has developed among authors illustrating how to do previously impossible tasks using Visual Basic. Another industry is rapidly developing among consultants helping users who have gotten into trouble attempting these tasks." -Dan Appleman