Go Back  Xtreme Visual Basic Talk > Visual Basic .NET (2002/2003/2005/2008, including Express editions) > .NET Game Programming > Managed DirectX > DDraw samples compile ok but not D3D. HELP!

Old 02-27-2005, 03:50 PM
Newcomer

Unhappy DDraw samples compile ok but not D3D. HELP!

this is what i have:
windows 2000 advanced server
directx 9.0c with managed assemblies installed
Visual Studio .NET 2003: Visual Basic .NET standard edition
dx90_sdkvb.exe (66,872,960 bytes) from microsoft.com, installed
dx90_vs2003_full.exe (19,315,296 bytes) from microsoft.com, installed
dialup

this is what i dont have:
any of the updates that explicitly do not say they have any d3d sample code for VB.net
dx9.0 managed assemblies
patience left for msdn
broadband

an error with the forrum code has forced me to do this all over again so in short:

so far i have only played with the ddraw and d3d samples, my only interest really was in the d3d ones but i took a look at the ddraw ones only becase the d3d samples were giving me so many problems. the precompiled binaries for d3d/ddraw not run, as expected lacking the 9.0 DLLs required. however i was able to build the ddraw samples from supplied source without incedent. having dialup it'd take nearly an eternity to download everything directx related and i realize that not everything is required. supposedly, according to the descriptions of the files i do have so far, i should be able to build the D3D code but it just doesnt work. the is something i am missing and i dont know which way to go. so, any relevant suggestions that may help my situation are welcome. below i have pasted the contents of the "task list" window, having loaded the billboard sample. notice the issue here is not the common "File or assembly name Microsoft.DirectX.Direct3D" and related issue others run into.

C:\DXSDK\Samples\VB.Net\Common\d3dApp.vb(195): Type 'SamplerStates' is not defined.
C:\DXSDK\Samples\VB.Net\Common\d3dApp.vb(196): Type 'textureStates' is not defined.
C:\DXSDK\Samples\VB.Net\Common\d3dApp.vb(664): Value of type 'Microsoft.DirectX.Direct3D.RenderStateManager' cannot be converted to 'Microsoft.DirectX.Direct3D.RenderStates'.
C:\DXSDK\Samples\VB.Net\Common\d3dFont.vb(41): Type 'TextureState' is not defined.
C:\DXSDK\Samples\VB.Net\Common\d3dFont.vb(42): Type 'TextureState' is not defined.
C:\DXSDK\Samples\VB.Net\Common\d3dFont.vb(43): Type 'Sampler' is not defined.
C:\DXSDK\Samples\VB.Net\Common\d3dFont.vb(170): Value of type 'Microsoft.DirectX.Direct3D.RenderStateManager' cannot be converted to 'Microsoft.DirectX.Direct3D.RenderStates'.
C:\DXSDK\Samples\VB.Net\Common\d3dFont.vb(269): 'ZBufferEnable' is not a member of 'Microsoft.DirectX.Direct3D.RenderStates'.
C:\DXSDK\Samples\VB.Net\Common\d3dFont.vb(271): 'ZBufferEnable' is not a member of 'Microsoft.DirectX.Direct3D.RenderStates'.
C:\DXSDK\Samples\VB.Net\Common\d3dFont.vb(274): Constant cannot be the target of an assignment.
C:\DXSDK\Samples\VB.Net\Common\d3dFont.vb(275): Constant cannot be the target of an assignment.
C:\DXSDK\Samples\VB.Net\Common\d3dFont.vb(276): Constant cannot be the target of an assignment.
C:\DXSDK\Samples\VB.Net\Common\d3dFont.vb(278): Constant cannot be the target of an assignment.
C:\DXSDK\Samples\VB.Net\Common\d3dFont.vb(280): Constant cannot be the target of an assignment.
C:\DXSDK\Samples\VB.Net\Common\d3dFont.vb(281): Constant cannot be the target of an assignment.
C:\DXSDK\Samples\VB.Net\Common\d3dFont.vb(282): Constant cannot be the target of an assignment.
C:\DXSDK\Samples\VB.Net\Common\d3dFont.vb(283): Constant cannot be the target of an assignment.
C:\DXSDK\Samples\VB.Net\Common\d3dFont.vb(284): Constant cannot be the target of an assignment.
C:\DXSDK\Samples\VB.Net\Common\d3dFont.vb(285): Constant cannot be the target of an assignment.
C:\DXSDK\Samples\VB.Net\Common\d3dFont.vb(286): Constant cannot be the target of an assignment.
C:\DXSDK\Samples\VB.Net\Common\d3dFont.vb(288): Constant cannot be the target of an assignment.
C:\DXSDK\Samples\VB.Net\Common\d3dFont.vb(289): Constant cannot be the target of an assignment.
C:\DXSDK\Samples\VB.Net\Common\d3dFont.vb(290): Constant cannot be the target of an assignment.
C:\DXSDK\Samples\VB.Net\Common\d3dFont.vb(291): Constant cannot be the target of an assignment.
C:\DXSDK\Samples\VB.Net\Common\d3dFont.vb(533): Constant cannot be the target of an assignment.
C:\DXSDK\Samples\VB.Net\Common\d3dutil.vb(710): 'OptimizeAttrSort' is not a member of 'Microsoft.DirectX.Direct3D.MeshFlags'.
C:\DXSDK\Samples\VB.Net\Common\d3dutil.vb(943): Value of type 'Microsoft.DirectX.Direct3D.RenderStateManager' cannot be converted to 'Microsoft.DirectX.Direct3D.RenderStates'.
C:\DXSDK\Samples\VB.Net\Common\d3dutil.vb(965): Constant cannot be the target of an assignment.
C:\DXSDK\Samples\VB.Net\Common\d3dutil.vb(966): Constant cannot be the target of an assignment.
C:\DXSDK\Samples\VB.Net\Common\d3dutil.vb(967): Constant cannot be the target of an assignment.
C:\DXSDK\Samples\VB.Net\Common\d3dutil.vb(980): Constant cannot be the target of an assignment.
C:\DXSDK\Samples\VB.Net\Common\d3dutil.vb(1073): 'Begin' is not a member of 'Microsoft.DirectX.Direct3D.Font'.
C:\DXSDK\Samples\VB.Net\Common\d3dutil.vb(1088): Overload resolution failed because no accessible 'DrawText' can be called with these arguments:
'Public Function DrawText(sprite As Microsoft.DirectX.Direct3D.Sprite, text As String, pos As System.Drawing.Point, color As Integer) As Integer': Value of type 'String' cannot be converted to 'Microsoft.DirectX.Direct3D.Sprite'.
'Public Function DrawText(sprite As Microsoft.DirectX.Direct3D.Sprite, text As String, pos As System.Drawing.Point, color As Integer) As Integer': Value of type 'System.Drawing.Rectangle' cannot be converted to 'String'.
'Public Function DrawText(sprite As Microsoft.DirectX.Direct3D.Sprite, text As String, pos As System.Drawing.Point, color As Integer) As Integer': Value of type 'Integer' cannot be converted to 'System.Drawing.Point'.
'Public Function DrawText(sprite As Microsoft.DirectX.Direct3D.Sprite, text As String, pos As System.Drawing.Point, color As System.Drawing.Color) As Integer': Value of type 'String' cannot be converted to 'Microsoft.DirectX.Direct3D.Sprite'.
'Public Function DrawText(sprite As Microsoft.DirectX.Direct3D.Sprite, text As String, pos As System.Drawing.Point, color As System.Drawing.Color) As Integer': Value of type 'System.Drawing.Rectangle' cannot be converted to 'String'.
'Public Function DrawText(sprite As Microsoft.DirectX.Direct3D.Sprite, text As String, pos As System.Drawing.Point, color As System.Drawing.Color) As Integer': Value of type 'Integer' cannot be converted to 'System.Drawing.Point'.
'Public Function DrawText(sprite As Microsoft.DirectX.Direct3D.Sprite, text As String, pos As System.Drawing.Point, color As System.Drawing.Color) As Integer': Value of type 'Integer' cannot be converted to 'System.Drawing.Color'.
C:\DXSDK\Samples\VB.Net\Common\d3dutil.vb(1102): 'End' is not a member of 'Microsoft.DirectX.Direct3D.Font'.
C:\DXSDK\Samples\VB.Net\Direct3D\Billboard\billboard.vb(140): 'ShiftLeft' is not a member of 'Microsoft.DirectX.DXHelp'.
C:\DXSDK\Samples\VB.Net\Direct3D\Billboard\billboard.vb(140): 'ShiftLeft' is not a member of 'Microsoft.DirectX.DXHelp'.
C:\DXSDK\Samples\VB.Net\Direct3D\Billboard\billboard.vb(142): 'SetPosition' is not a member of 'Microsoft.DirectX.Direct3D.CustomVertex.PositionColoredTextured'.
C:\DXSDK\Samples\VB.Net\Direct3D\Billboard\billboard.vb(146): 'SetPosition' is not a member of 'Microsoft.DirectX.Direct3D.CustomVertex.PositionColoredTextured'.
C:\DXSDK\Samples\VB.Net\Direct3D\Billboard\billboard.vb(150): 'SetPosition' is not a member of 'Microsoft.DirectX.Direct3D.CustomVertex.PositionColoredTextured'.
C:\DXSDK\Samples\VB.Net\Direct3D\Billboard\billboard.vb(154): 'SetPosition' is not a member of 'Microsoft.DirectX.Direct3D.CustomVertex.PositionColoredTextured'.
C:\DXSDK\Samples\VB.Net\Direct3D\Billboard\billboard.vb(257): Constant cannot be the target of an assignment.
C:\DXSDK\Samples\VB.Net\Direct3D\Billboard\billboard.vb(258): Constant cannot be the target of an assignment.
C:\DXSDK\Samples\VB.Net\Direct3D\Billboard\billboard.vb(259): Constant cannot be the target of an assignment.
The designer could not be shown for this file because none of the classes within it can be designed. The designer inspected the following classes in the file:

MyGraphicsSample --- The base class 'Billboard.GraphicsSample' could not be loaded. Ensure the assembly has been referenced or built if it is part of the project.
Old 03-17-2005, 11:42 AM
Newcomer

Default A solution?

Hello XB191A!

Welcome to a recently made tutorial in this matter.

Visit this: http://www.ngn.nu/DX9/index.htm

Good Luck!

NGN
Sweden
Old 03-28-2005, 08:35 PM
Newcomer

thanks for the info, that worked perfectly!