Go Back  Xtreme Visual Basic Talk > Legacy Visual Basic (VB 4/5/6) > VBA / Office Integration > Word, PowerPoint, Outlook, and Other Office Products > Macro - Documents.Open fileName:= Need help with this command

Old 04-29-2005, 10:51 AM
Newcomer

Default Macro - Documents.Open fileName:= Need help with this command

Hello. I am trying to have a macro open about 300 files that are similarly named in the same directory, to add 3 lines of data. the " * " doesnt seem to work. I am new to making macros and would appreciate any help.

I need help with this line:
Documents.Open fileName:=" .tfw"

this is what i have so far.
Code:
Sub FindReplace() ' ' OpenAdd Macro ' ChangeFileOpenDirectory "C:\alcatraz\04282005_imagery\" Documents.Open fileName:=" .tfw", ConfirmConversions:=False, _ ReadOnly:=False, AddToRecentFiles:=False, PasswordDocument:="", _ PasswordTemplate:="", Revert:=False, WritePasswordDocument:="", _ WritePasswordTemplate:="", Format:=wdOpenFormatAuto, Encoding:=1252 Selection.MoveDown Unit:=wdLine, Count:=5 Selection.EndKey Unit:=wdLine Selection.TypeParagraph Selection.TypeText Text:="10" Selection.TypeParagraph Selection.TypeText Text:="5000" Selection.TypeParagraph Selection.TypeText Text:="5000" ActiveDocument.Save ActiveDocument.Close End Sub
Edit by moderator: You can use [vb][/vb] tags to format your code. Click 'Reply' on this post to see how tags work.

Last edited by herilane; 04-29-2005 at 02:47 PM.
Old 04-29-2005, 02:51 PM
Unashamed geek

Retired Moderator
* Expert *

Welcome to the forum.

Files need to be opened one by one, you cannot use wildcards like * with Documents.Open. What you need is a loop. You can use Dir() in a loop to get the names of all files in a folder.

You say you're new to macros - exactly how new? Are you familiar with using variables and loops and such? I can post you a simple example, but don't know what level of detail you need.
Old 05-02-2005, 07:03 AM
Newcomer

thanks for answering. I used to use them about 5 years ago and havent since. I consider myself a newbie again. out of sight out of mind you know.

any help is appreciated.
michelle

Quote:
Originally Posted by herilane
Welcome to the forum.

Files need to be opened one by one, you cannot use wildcards like * with Documents.Open. What you need is a loop. You can use Dir() in a loop to get the names of all files in a folder.

You say you're new to macros - exactly how new? Are you familiar with using variables and loops and such? I can post you a simple example, but don't know what level of detail you need.
Old 05-02-2005, 10:33 AM
Unashamed geek

Retired Moderator
* Expert *

OK.

I would do this in two steps. First, get a list of all files. Second, process the list of files.

For step one, the basic approach would be like this:
Code:
Dim strFile As String strFile = Dir$("c:\temp\*.doc") 'Get first item in folder Do While strFile <> "" 'If something was found... Debug.Print strFile '... do something with it... strFile = Dir$() '... and get the name of the next file Loop
For putting the data in an array, look up the following help topics in Word VBA help: Using Arrays and Redim Statement.

For going through the array that you have, look up Using For...Next Statements.
Code:
Dim strMyFiles() As String Dim i As Integer 'Fill the array 'Now use the array to open files: For i = LBound(strMyFiles) To UBound(strMyFiles) Documents.Open "C:\temp\" & strMyFiles(i) Next i
Hope this gets you started.