Go Back  Xtreme Visual Basic Talk > Legacy Visual Basic (VB 4/5/6) > VBA / Office Integration > Excel > Excel Automation and columns width

Old 09-17-2005, 07:24 AM
Newcomer

Default Excel Automation and columns width

Hello
I used VB6 to display reports in Ms excel 2003. but I have a problem with the columns width. I wrote this code to control the width: (for example)
Code:
xlsheet.Columns("A:A").ColumnWidth = 2.29
the problem is that this width depends on the computer I am working on. i.e they fit perfectly on this PC but they are too wide in the any other PC even though the width is the same 2.29
Is there a way around this problem?
Old 09-17-2005, 09:59 AM
Down...

Retired Moderator
* Expert *

Do you mean they are to wide for the screen resolution in use, or are they really diplayed wider, though their width is set to 2.29?
Old 09-18-2005, 02:07 AM
Newcomer

Quote:
Originally Posted by italkid
Do you mean they are to wide for the screen resolution in use, or are they really diplayed wider, though their width is set to 2.29?
the resolution is no the problem, they are displayed wider, though their width is set to 2.29!
is that unusual?
Old 09-18-2005, 02:31 AM
Down...

Retired Moderator
* Expert *

Quote:
Originally Posted by LG-2005
is that unusual?
I've never heard about this kind of issue, nor was I able to find info about it... Does it also happen if you try to replicate the problem with a new and blank file? Any differences in Excel version or installed service packs between your pc and the others?
Old 09-18-2005, 08:21 AM
Newcomer

Quote:
Does it also happen if you try to replicate the problem with a new and blank file
i'll try that and tell you what happened

Quote:
Any differences in Excel version or installed service packs between your pc and the others?
Excel version is the same. i use two different OP in two different computers: Xp professional and XP Home both service pack 2.
Old 09-19-2005, 08:45 AM
Newcomer

Hello:
Sorry for the delay.
The only way I can now that the width is not the same is that the columns in one PC are contained in one page and two pages in the other.
If I use the 1st PC to generate the Excel file and try to display it in the 2nd PC, I won’t have this problem. It happens only when I use my VB program which specify the width of the columns.
I tried to use the autofit command, so it will fit the width of the columns around the text but it is giving me an error: Autofit method of Range class failed.

xlsheet.Columns("A:BZ").AutoFit

is that because there are some empty cells? If so is there some other command I can use?
Old 09-19-2005, 12:17 PM
Down...

Retired Moderator
* Expert *

Autofit should not result in an error neither, as that command does automatically ignore empty columns... That sheet is not protected?
Old 09-19-2005, 04:49 PM
Unashamed geek

Retired Moderator
* Expert *

I think Autofit may fail if the range has merged cells.
Old 09-20-2005, 03:31 AM
Newcomer

Quote:
IThat sheet is not protected?.
Bingo!

Thank You italkid for your help.

Quote:
Originally Posted by herilane
I think Autofit may fail if the range has merged cells.
No, i have not merged the cells. the problem was that i wrote the protection command before the autofit command. thanks anyway.