Go Back  Xtreme Visual Basic Talk > Visual Basic .NET (2002/2003/2005/2008, including Express editions) > .NET Game Programming > Side-Scrolling game problem

Old 01-01-2006, 03:41 PM
Regular

Angry Side-Scrolling game problem

I am a complete newbie to VB and was going to take a crack at making my first "big" game. It is a side-scrolling game, very similar to Super Mario, same basic gameplay....

But the problem is I don't know how the "side-scrolling" bit would work. Does it load onto new forms or what, I am very confused on this one and don't know how to get it to do what I want
Old 01-02-2006, 05:23 AM
MetaCenturion

Retired Moderator
* Guru *

If you are a complete newbie, you should at least start with a newbie project, not sidescrolling. You can start out with controls and work on having a Super Mario on a fixed screen. When you want some more functionality, you can branch out to GDI+.
I have examples of a side scrolling game with GDI+ in VB.NET
http://iceplug.vwebservices.com/code.htm
and continues on to 22 pages, but if you are new, I suggest you try your own and work up some experience before following on to the tutorial.

Iceplug, USN
Quadrill 1 Quadrill 2 (full) Quadrill 3 JumpCross .NET Website is ALIVE! - DL Platform Tour for VB.NET! Posting Guidelines Hint: Specify your location in your user cp profile if you want compassion!
Old 01-04-2006, 07:58 AM
Regular

Yes... I guess you are right. I kept it simple and just dont one big form (maximized) and had different floors and when you are done on one floor instead of it "side-scrolling" to a new part you just drop down a hole onto the new floor, and keep working your way down screen, and then you can just drop onto a new form!!! I have a nice transistion effect and everything so it looks like it is scrolling "down" onto the next form instead of it just appearing...

It was the best idea I could think of without using side-scrolling!!