Go Back  Xtreme Visual Basic Talk > Visual Basic .NET (2002/2003/2005/2008, including Express editions) > .NET Database and Reporting > SQL Server 2005 Triggers + VB.Net

Old 10-04-2006, 01:45 PM
Centurion

Default SQL Server 2005 Triggers + VB.Net

I am trying to write an application that will send out emails every time a row in a certain database table is updated using SQL Server 2005 and VB.Net 2005. The database is one our IT department uses to track work orders and they want users to be emailed notifications when work is done, the ticket is reassigned etc. to try and cut down on the phone calls they get bogged down with.

In theory it looks pretty simple... Excep the database doesn't have an Assemblies folder so I can't add a .dll to trigger. I've never set up a trigger to call an external application before so this is all new to me.

Does any one know of a way to "add" the assemblies folder, or any sort of work arounds to get a trigger calling an external app? Everything I've been able to find relies on having a DLL added to assemblies.

Thanks a lot.
Old 10-04-2006, 02:03 PM
Martian In Disguise

Retired Moderator
* Guru *

One option may be Database Mail.

Edit:
Ack, it doesn't like the link.

Just copy paste the following into the Address Bar

ms-help://MS.SQLCC.v9/MS.SQLSVR.v9.en/udb9/html/14cbf88f-d9d1-41a5-994e-532e2973ac9e.htm
Old 10-04-2006, 02:18 PM
Centurion

Link still didn't work, but google did.

That looks pretty useful, the only problem is there are some really cryptic fields in the database that will just confuse users, but they contain really relevant information. That's why I was leaning towards an external app, I could use the program to "decode" the tech speak for the users (this was a requirement from the boss so I can't really get out of it).

Thanks a lot for the suggestion, that could've worked great if we had better data in the database
Old 10-04-2006, 02:24 PM
Web Junkie

Retired Moderator
* Expert *

Why Create an Assembly? SQL 2005 has "Database Mail" included:

http://msdn2.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ms175887.aspx