Go Back  Xtreme Visual Basic Talk > Visual Basic .NET (2002/2003/2005/2008, including Express editions) > .NET Interface and Graphics > Old VB5 picture1.point....

Old 12-31-2007, 11:03 AM
Freshman

Default Old VB5 picture1.point....

In vb5 i could get the color of any x,y point in my picture box with this command:

isect = Picture1.Point(Xsect, Ysect)

What would be the equivalent in VS?

I am using the bouncing ball program:

http://www.xtremevbtalk.com/showthread.php?t=291335

but modifying so it does not "erase" the ball before it draws it again. As the ball moves, it fills the screen with it's trail. I want to look at where the ball is going to be drawn, find the color of that spot, and "increment" the color up a chart. If the ball has already been to a spot, the next time it shows up there, change the color that is drawn. Thanks.
Old 12-31-2007, 12:23 PM
Fabulous Florist

Forum Leader
* Guru *

VB .NET separates the logic of images from the picture box control, making it a control that displays images rather than an image that can be displayed. But that's not getting us closer to a solution.

The first step is to get the image that is displayed in the picture box. This is easy enough; there is an Image property that does just that. Once you have the image, you can get a Bitmap instance. Bitmap has the GetPixel function which does precisely what you want. The example code below handles a MouseMove over a picture box by displaying the color under the mouse.
Code:
    Private Sub PictureBox1_MouseMove(ByVal sender As System.Object, ByVal e As System.Windows.Forms.MouseEventArgs) Handles PictureBox1.MouseMove
        Dim img As Image = PictureBox1.Image
        ' Be careful that this cast is actually valid
        Dim bmp As Bitmap = DirectCast(img, Bitmap)
        Dim pnt As Point = e.Location
        Dim color As Color = bmp.GetPixel(pnt.X, pnt.Y)
        Dim colorText As String = "Color at location {0} is {1}."
        colorText = String.Format(colorText, pnt, color)

Label1.Text = colorText
        PictureBox1.Invalidate()
    End Sub
If you want to change the value of the pixel, use the Bitmap.SetPixel() method.
Old 12-31-2007, 12:35 PM
Freshman

Thanks for your reply....

I don't need to use a picture box. That was the only way I could find to describe the old VB5 function....

I want the ball bouncing on the form just like the program in the link above, but I want to know the color of the back ground where the new ball will be drawn.... Can I use "lineargradientbrush" to change the color of each new overlap following a gradient scheme?
Old 12-31-2007, 01:31 PM
Fabulous Florist

Forum Leader
* Guru *

Oh I see, you are drawing to a bitmap then drawing that bitmap to the form.

With the previously posted code, you already have the bitmap so everything above (except the PictureBox parts) applies.

Using a linear gradient brush might prove difficult depending on how complicated an effect you desire. To make the gradient, the brush's constructor requires the size of the area the gradient will occupy as either two points or a rectangle in advance. In a simple implementation, the gradient would be told to fill the form's area, and it would look as if the ball were wiping away some layer of paint over a gradient pattern. A more complex implementation would want the gradient to only fill the area of the ball's track. In this case, your current architecture makes things kind of difficult and you'd be better served by storing simpler geometry objects and using a more traditional Form painting model.

So I guess the answer is "maybe".