Go Back  Xtreme Visual Basic Talk > Legacy Visual Basic (VB 4/5/6) > VBA / Office Integration > Excel > Find the String is Palindrome or Not

Old 02-06-2008, 07:04 AM
Freshman

Default Find the String is Palindrome or Not

Hi anyone

How to find the given String is palindrome or Not..using Excel Formulas or Excel Functions....

Kindly Reply...

Thanks in Advance
Old 02-06-2008, 07:17 AM
Tachikoma

Ive looked through all the text functions and i cant find anything that would do this for you. The easiest way is to reverse the string and check it against the origional but excel wont let you reverse a string.

It would be possible to do this using VBA
Old 02-06-2008, 07:51 AM
Ultimate Contributor

Retired Leader
* Expert *

Some palindromes involve spaces in the string between words and these are oftten stripped out before the process of reversing the letters for comparison. If this is the case then this case would need to be added to the VBA code.

There is another similar word play where expressions are reversed word order and not reversed letter order. In these the reverse and comparison operation is more complex than a simple letter reversal. Another job better left to VBA instead of Excel formulas.
Old 02-06-2008, 07:54 AM
Tachikoma

Excel is capable of stripping out spaces and other things like "-" by itself. Its just a shame it doesnt do the 1 bit you really need
Old 02-06-2008, 10:43 AM
Out Of Office

Retired Moderator
* Expert *

Well... this one looked like a bit of a challenge.... so I did a google and the consensus is that this cannot be done with an excel formula.

So I'm feeling a little bit chuffed with myself that I've managed to do it!
If anyone can find a solution anywhere else then please let me know.

This array formula will return true or false for a word up to 20 characters in length in the cell A1. It is not case sensitive and checks the symmetry of all characters in the cell.

Code:
=IF(SUM(--((MID($A$1,1+POSITION,1))=(IF(ISERROR(MID($A$1,LEN($A$1)-POSITION,1)),0,MID($A$1,LEN($A$1)-POSITION,1)))))=LEN($A$1),TRUE,FALSE) Where POSITION is an array constant defined as: ={0;1;2;3;4;5;6;7;8;9;10;11;12;13;14;15;16;17;18;19}

Increasing the size of the array constant will increase the number of characters it will solve for.

If anyone wants a breakdown on how it works then let me know.

Last edited by Colin Legg; 02-07-2008 at 03:54 AM. Reason: It is NOT case sensitive
Old 02-06-2008, 06:10 PM
Tachikoma

Ive searched google too and its tru that this cant be done in excel so your formula really is something special. Sure it has its limitations (The 20 char limit) but its still really impressive
Old 02-06-2008, 06:55 PM
Ultimate Contributor

Retired Leader
* Expert *

Chris:
I could not get your formula to return TRUE for any other A1 cell content than when the cell is either empty or contains a single character.

Maybe I do not fully understand how to define the array constant. I plunked the expression with the 0--19 sequence in it into a certain cell and then applied a named range value POSITION to that cell.
Old 02-06-2008, 09:09 PM
Freshman

thanks colin..

I ensure that your solution is the only way to get the Palindrome and its Works fine....
Old 02-06-2008, 09:15 PM
Freshman

Go to Insert Menu and Select Define Name..Here you add whatever the constants you wish. give the Constant name in Top most box and Give the Array Values in Refers to Area then press Add Button...
Old 02-06-2008, 11:40 PM
Out Of Office

Retired Moderator
* Expert *

You're welcome ethiraj!

Quote:
mkaras Chris:
I could not get your formula to return TRUE for any other A1 cell content than when the cell is either empty or contains a single character.

Maybe I do not fully understand how to define the array constant. I plunked the expression with the 0--19 sequence in it into a certain cell and then applied a named range value POSITION to that cell.
Hi Michael,

You can read up on array constants and how to define them HERE.

Remember, this is an array formula so when you type it into the formulabar you must finish your entry with CTRL+SHIFT+ENTER and Excel will automatically surround it with {}.

I hope you can get it to work now. I'll edit this post later to attach a working spreadsheet in case anyone has problems.

Hi The Master,

Yes, it's limited to 20 characters in the example I gave - but if you increase the elements in the array constant then it will solve for more characters.
Regards
Colin
Attached Files
File Type: zip Palindrome Array Formula.zip (4.7 KB, 11 views)

Last edited by Colin Legg; 02-07-2008 at 01:42 AM. Reason: Added workbook
Old 02-07-2008, 03:20 AM
Ultimate Contributor

Retired Leader
* Expert *

Colin:

Really sorry for trying to rename you to Chris the last time I posted.

I learned a new concept naming a constant in Excel without sucking up a cell to do so. This could be used to create spreadsheets that the average user (like me) would be kind clueless to figure out.

I downloaded the spreadsheet that you zipped above and find that it displays TRUE all the time irregardless of what is in cell A1.

I'll try starting again from scratch and see if I can get it to work that way.
Old 02-07-2008, 03:32 AM
Out Of Office

Retired Moderator
* Expert *

Quote:
Colin:

I downloaded the spreadsheet that you zipped above and find that it displays TRUE all the time irregardless of what is in cell A1.

Michael:

I don't know why that is happening.
I downloaded the spreadsheet from the thread and it works fine for me: TRUE if palindrome; FALSE if not.

Please note typo on my previous thread (I have gone back and edited it so it does not confuse anyone else) - this solution is NOT case sensitive. Maybe that was misleading you?

I will post case sensitive solution in a minute....

Last edited by Colin Legg; 02-07-2008 at 03:55 AM. Reason: Typo amendment....
Old 02-07-2008, 03:48 AM
Out Of Office

Retired Moderator
* Expert *

If you want a case senstive solution then you use this array formula instead:

Code:
=IF(SUM(--(IF(ISERROR(CODE(MID($A$1,1+POSITION,1))),"a",CODE(MID($A$1,1+POSITION,1)))=IF(ISERROR(CODE(MID($A$1,LEN($A$1)-POSITION,1))),"b",CODE(MID($A$1,LEN($A$1)-POSITION,1)))))=LEN($A$1),TRUE,FALSE)

Regards
Colin
Old 02-07-2008, 08:46 AM
Multi-Technologist

Super Moderator
* Expert *

Quote:
Originally Posted by mkaras View Post

Automatic calculation was turned off, so enable it in 'Tools/Options.../Calculation' or press F9 manually.

You'll notice his formula is enclosed in {}. This means it is an array formula, so you must use 'Ctrl-Shift-Enter' instead of just 'Enter'.
The {} will be added automatically and the interal iterator will function using his defined array constant.
My Intel Paxville CPUs (dual socket) are supported by Windows 8.0 (which patch support ends for on Jan. 12 2016), but are not supported by Windows 8.1 due to a lack of a PrefetchW instruction. This instruction could be patched out with a NOP for borderline CPUs, if Microsoft chose to. So, Windows 7 it is.
Old 02-07-2008, 04:09 PM
Multi-Technologist

Super Moderator
* Expert *

I was trying for a simpler array formula using the same POSITION array, but can't get it to work quite right, so maybe it won't work at all. I'll show it anyway:
{=EXACT(MID(A1,POSITION+1,1),MID(A1,LEN(A1)-POSITION,1))}
My Intel Paxville CPUs (dual socket) are supported by Windows 8.0 (which patch support ends for on Jan. 12 2016), but are not supported by Windows 8.1 due to a lack of a PrefetchW instruction. This instruction could be patched out with a NOP for borderline CPUs, if Microsoft chose to. So, Windows 7 it is.
Old 02-08-2008, 04:08 AM
Out Of Office

Retired Moderator
* Expert *

Hi Cerian Knight

Using the EXACT function is a great idea!

Your current formula doesn't "work" due to the fact that it is a multiple result array formula and therefore the "real" result cannot be viewed in one cell.

I've used your idea to build a slightly alternative version which will work:

Code:
=COUNT(IF(EXACT(MID(A1,POSITION+1,1),MID(A1,LEN(A1)-POSITION,1))=FALSE,1))=0

And that's definitely an improvement on the solution in #13! Perhaps it can be improved even further?

Last edited by Colin Legg; 02-08-2008 at 05:06 AM.
Old 02-08-2008, 07:53 AM
Multi-Technologist

Super Moderator
* Expert *

Cool, you got it to work! It occurred to me after I posted that EXACT is really just an '=' in disguise. So how about this for further improvement:
Code:
=COUNT(IF(MID(A1,POSITION+1,1)<>MID(A1,LEN(A1)-POSITION,1),1))=0
At this point, shortening 'POSITION' to just 'P' would yield a significant reduction.
Old 02-08-2008, 08:09 AM
Out Of Office

Retired Moderator
* Expert *

It's a good try... but EXACT is not entirely the same as '=' .... so that one won't be case sensitive.....
....so let's call it an improvement on #5!

So now we have 2 best solutions to solve up to 20 characters -
Code:
Case Sensitive: =COUNT(IF(EXACT(MID(A1,POSITION+1,1),MID(A1,LEN(A1)-POSITION,1))=FALSE,1))=0 Not Case Sensitive: =COUNT(IF(MID(A1,POSITION+1,1)<>MID(A1,LEN(A1)-POSITION,1),1))=0 where POSITION is a horizontal or vertical array constant with values 0 to 19.

And, as you pointed out, we can also shorten the name of the array constant too.

Any more offerings!?

(Because this problem has never been solved before and I can't find any documentation on using an array constant to parse text into an array, I think I'm going to put this in as a step by step example in the Excel Array Formulae Tutorial which is currently being reviewed in the Tech Discussions Board - so any other improvements/suggestions would be fantastic!)
Old 02-08-2008, 09:50 AM
Multi-Technologist

Super Moderator
* Expert *

Quote:
Originally Posted by Colin_L View Post
It's a good try... but EXACT is not entirely the same as '=' ....so that one won't be case sensitive.....
I hadn't noticed that before...good to know. Looks like I came up with EXACT despite myself.
Quote:
So now we have 2 best solutions to solve up to 20 characters -
Since we are searching 'front to back' and 'back to front' and the middle character in an odd length is irrelevant...I believe we can do 41 characters without changing the definition of POSITION!
Old 02-08-2008, 10:11 AM
Multi-Technologist

Super Moderator
* Expert *

Alright, forget all that...suppose we just get rid of the named array constant altogether:
Code:
'This array formula will handle a BIG string:
=COUNT(IF(EXACT(MID(A1,ROW(A:A),1),MID(A1,LEN(A1)-ROW(A:A)+1,1)),"",1))=0

Last edited by Cerian Knight; 02-08-2008 at 10:38 AM. Reason: Simplified ROW expression and comparison