Go Back  Xtreme Visual Basic Talk > Legacy Visual Basic (VB 4/5/6) > API > Get text under mouse cursor

Old 06-07-2008, 12:18 AM
Newcomer

Default Get text under mouse cursor

hi
I want get text under mouse cursor in any position and any window Like Babylon Dictionary Software .
I won't use any component to do this . I find some API functions but can't success.
Old 06-07-2008, 12:37 AM
Senior Contributor

* Expert *

Hi Empire, welcome to the forum!

Using GetCursorPos, WindowFromPoint and GetWindowRect, you can easily get the window under the cursor and the relative cursor position in that window, as you probably already figured out. Beyond that, though, I don't have much of an idea how to proceed, I'm afraid. You can look at the GetWindowText and InternalGetWindowText functions, or SendMessage WM_GETTEXT, but I'm pretty sure all of those give you only window and control captions and the like, rather than full content - and there's no way to correlate what you retrieve to the cursor position in the window. Maybe someone else will know better.

"Lying in bed would be an altogether perfect and supreme experience if only one had a colored pencil long enough to draw on the ceiling."

Chesterton, "Tremendous Trifles"
Old 06-07-2008, 04:43 AM
Newcomer

Best regard for your attention.
I was used All API function that you ell me in your post (Except InternalGetWindowText ) but can 't write my desire program that work perfect.
I read about OCR Engine in some thread that some application use their own OCR engin to do this Like Babylon Dictionary.
Any body Know that How can use the OCR Engine of other program in our program??
Old 06-07-2008, 07:13 AM
Senior Contributor

* Expert *

Yes, taking a screenshot and using OCR might be your best bet. In general, you won't be able to use components of another program at all. Try looking for an OCR plugin, though - a very basic one would do, since a screenshot gives you perfect input quality. I'd be surprised if there weren't any free code available somewhere.

"Lying in bed would be an altogether perfect and supreme experience if only one had a colored pencil long enough to draw on the ceiling."

Chesterton, "Tremendous Trifles"
Old 06-07-2008, 02:05 PM
Ultimate Contributor

Retired Leader
* Expert *

You could evaluate screen capture OCR through the use of the Kleptomania utility. A download to try it out is free. After you evaluate the techniques used you may decide to purchase the share-ware license for the package because it is such a handy interactive utility. Here is a link to the Kleptomania web site:

http://www.structurise.com/kleptomania/

If you find their OCR technology useful for your application it is possible to evaluate and purchase their core technology, which they call Textract. Read about it at this web page:

http://www.structurise.com/textract/index.shtml

Note that Textract is available with direct interfaces as a VB-Control or as an OCX.
Old 06-07-2008, 09:31 PM
Newcomer

This is good but can't grab pdf text
Old 07-21-2009, 07:25 AM
Newcomer

Hi You!
I am developing a dictionary application
I want to get text in cursor in other application when right click mouse in VB6.0 or C#
Please, help me a source code of this application and sent source code to my email : hoang.cntt@gmail.com
Thanks.
Hoang