Go Back  Xtreme Visual Basic Talk > Visual Basic .NET (2002/2003/2005/2008, including Express editions) > .NET File I/O and Registry > Check if folder is writeable?

Old 10-25-2008, 06:28 PM
Contributor

* Expert *

Question Check if folder is writeable?

I want to save a bitmap object to file, but I want to make sure the file path is writeable first. The user should have write permissions to the folder and it should not be a location on a CD drive.

Right now, it gives a "A generic error occurred in GDI+", which is not too helpful. I'd rather tell the user that the selected save location is not writeable.
Old 10-26-2008, 11:09 PM
Contributor

* Expert *

Unless someone knows a way to do this, I will just catch the System.Runtime.InteropServices.ExternalException and then let the user know the bitmap was not able to be saved. I'm not sure what other possible scenarios will generate that exception, so this may end up masking the real problem.
Old 10-26-2008, 11:20 PM
CodeASaurus Hex

Forum Leader
* Expert *

You should be able to check the readonly attribute of the folder.
Old 10-26-2008, 11:30 PM
Contributor

* Expert *

I know how to check the readonly attribute for a file, but have not found a way to do that for a folder.
Old 10-27-2008, 09:58 AM
Fabulous Florist

Forum Leader
* Guru *

Quote:
Originally Posted by gpraceman View Post
I know how to check the readonly attribute for a file, but have not found a way to do that for a folder.
If this is true, then your code for checking if a file has the read-only attribute is incorrect. The only difference is replacing the word "File" with "Directory" in one of the class names:
Code:
    Private Function IsDirectoryWritable(ByVal path As String)
        Dim info As New DirectoryInfo(path)
        Return (info.Attributes And FileAttributes.ReadOnly) <> FileAttributes.ReadOnly
    End Function
I tested this on a directory on a CD-ROM drive, a writable directory on my hard drive, and a nonexistent directory and all three behaved as expected (it returns False for a directory that doesn't exist.)
Old 10-27-2008, 10:06 AM
Contributor

* Expert *

Thanks, I'll give that a try.

I had been using the IsReadOnly property to determine if a file was readonly. I had been expecting that there would be a similar property for a directory, but could not find one.

Code:
Public Shared Function IsFileReadOnly(ByVal sFile As String) As Boolean
  Dim objFileInfo As FileInfo = My.Computer.FileSystem.GetFileInfo(sFile)
  Return objFileInfo.IsReadOnly
End Function
Old 03-08-2010, 11:48 PM
Contributor

* Expert *

Quote:
Originally Posted by AtmaWeapon View Post
If this is true, then your code for checking if a file has the read-only attribute is incorrect. The only difference is replacing the word "File" with "Directory" in one of the class names:
Code:
    Private Function IsDirectoryWritable(ByVal path As String)
        Dim info As New DirectoryInfo(path)
        Return (info.Attributes And FileAttributes.ReadOnly) <> FileAttributes.ReadOnly
    End Function
I tested this on a directory on a CD-ROM drive, a writable directory on my hard drive, and a nonexistent directory and all three behaved as expected (it returns False for a directory that doesn't exist.)
Sorry to grave dig, but I've been using similar code for awhile and never had noticed until now that the desktop will come back as being read-only. Yet, if I disable this check, my app can save a file to the desktop no problem. This looks to be an issue with other special directories, like My Documents.

What's got me scratching my head is that my app can write to some folders under My Documents, but it seems to only be the ones that my installer had created. For any other folder, the check comes back as read-only.

So, is there a reliable way to determine if a folder is read-only, even if it is within a special directory?