Go Back  Xtreme Visual Basic Talk > Legacy Visual Basic (VB 4/5/6) > VBA / Office Integration > Excel > Getting error while converting excel 2007 file to 2003 file in vb6

Old 12-18-2008, 10:53 AM
Newcomer

Default Getting error while converting excel 2007 file to 2003 file in vb6

I am having ms office 2003 installed on my developement machine, and i have also installed compitible package for office 2007 excel. Now i want to convert 2007 excel file to 2003 excel file.
when i try to open the xlsx, it gives me prompt msg like below, with ok cancel, first thing i want to remove this prompt message.

This file is not in a recognizable format.

• If you know the file is from another program which is incompatible with Microsoft Office Excel, click Cancel, then open this file in its original application. If you want to open the file later in Microsoft Office Excel, save it in a format that is compatible, such as text format.
• If you suspect the file is damaged, click Help for more information about solving the problem.
• If you still want to see what text is contained in the file, click OK. Then click Finish in the Text Import Wizard.

Another thing is that if i try to convert this to 2003 excel file it with below code it gives me error like
err.number 1004 -- Application-defined or object-defined error

this is my code.

Dim xlsAppObj As New Excel.Application
Dim xlsWrkObj As Excel.Workbook

xlsAppObj.Workbooks.Open TEMP_PATH & fileName ' first prompt message comes here
Set xlsWrkObj = xlsAppObj.ActiveWorkbook
xlsWrkObj.SaveAs TEMP_PATH & fso.GetBaseName(fileName) & ".xls", 56 'error while saving to 2003 version
xlsWrkObj.Close False

Any help would be appricated. Thanks in advanse
Old 12-19-2008, 04:33 PM
CodeASaurus Hex

Forum Leader
* Expert *

Not sure what you are trying to do here but the Excel file must be compatable with Excel 2003 (If you know the file is from another program which is incompatible with Microsoft Office Excel, click Cancel, then open this file in its original application. If you want to open the file later in Microsoft Office Excel, save it in a format that is compatible, such as text format).

Excel 2007 files are not compatable with 2003.

If you want your program to be able to read Excel 2007 files and save them as a 2003 file you need to use the
Quote:
Microsoft Excel 12.0 Object Library
you can then open the Excel 2007 files and use the SaveAs method to specify saving the XLS as version 2003.
Quote:
MyWorkBook.SaveAs "whatever.xls", xlExcel9
Old 12-23-2008, 03:43 PM
Newcomer

thank you very much for ur reply.

What i am trying to do is i want to convert excel 2007 file to excel 2003 format. and i have MS office 2003 with compitible package for office 2007 excel.

As per ur posting, i will not able to convert if i dont have Office 2007 installed on my machine.

But i can open xlsx file directly from windows explorer, can it be possible in programming.

Any pointer would be appreciated.

Thanks,
Anant