Go Back  Xtreme Visual Basic Talk > Legacy Visual Basic (VB 4/5/6) > VBA / Office Integration > Excel > Excel VBA Cells() vs. Range()

Old 08-26-2009, 12:34 AM
Senior Contributor

Default Excel VBA Cells() vs. Range()

Ive noticed most people reference ranges in vba using Cells(x,x) rather than Ranga(xx) ... is one faster than the other, because it seems Range() is much easier to read.

If Google = NoHelp Then PostHere = True
Old 08-26-2009, 03:15 AM
Junior Contributor

Hi! Personally i use Cells(row, col) because i find it easier to use inside a loop.

I can easily loop the Row, Column or Both by using variables. For me it is more a convenience...

Don't Click Me!
Old 08-26-2009, 03:54 AM
Out Of Office

Retired Moderator
* Expert *

There is some overlap where they can be used interchangeably, but they have a number of differences. I'll get the ball rolling with a few that immediately spring to mind:
  • Worksheet.Cells() will only ever return a reference to a single cell on the worksheet or all cells on the worksheet. For example, you can't reference A1:A10 using Worksheet.Cells() on its own, but you can using Worksheet.Range()
  • You don't get intellisense when using Worksheet.Cells() if you pass in a RowIndex or ColumnIndex.
  • Worksheet.Cells() is particularly useful when you need to reference the ColumnIndex using a number, such as in a loop like BurningSlash mentioned.

So I use both - which one I choose depends on the situation. If a situation arises where either could be used with equal ease then I tend to use Worksheet.Range() because of the intellisense benefit.
Old 08-26-2009, 04:27 AM
Junior Contributor

Quote:
I'll get the ball rolling
I'll keep it rolling with a few tidbits:
  • Both .Cells() and .Range() return a Range-class object. The object comes in three "flavours", Cells, Rows, and Columns. We discussed that in depth here. It seems that .Range() always returns the Cells flavour (Excel-2002-sized Sheet):
    Code:
    Sheet1.Range("1:1").Count '256
    Sheet1.Range("A:A").Count '65536
    However, I'd say it's good practice to use .Cells() in situations in which the flavour matters, rather than rely on this non-obvious fact.
  • When I loop over ranges, I usually do it using .Rows() and .Columns() as needed, rather than using .Cells(). Sample:
    Code:
        Dim rangeRow As Range
        For Each rangeRow In Me.Range("3:5").Rows
            rangeRow.Columns(2).Value = "B"
            rangeRow.Columns(4).Value = "D"
        Next
  • The intellisense issue is not specific to .Cells(), it's a general VBIDE bug related to multiple indeces:
    Code:
    Private someArray(1 To 2, 1 To 2) As Range

someArray.        'intellisense
    someArray(1,1).   'no intellisense
    Weird.
Old 08-27-2009, 03:22 PM
Regular

Lets take it a step further.

Like this:

Standard
Quote:
Range("A1:B3").
Embedded
Quote:
Range(Cells(1,1), Cells(3,2)).
Ultimately you get the same results, but as burning stated above loops function smoother with solid numbers. You don't have to have to Asc(Column Letter-64) each time.
Old 08-27-2009, 03:37 PM
Out Of Office

Retired Moderator
* Expert *

One thing we haven't touched yet is when Cells() and Range() are being used as properties of a range object. So far we've only considered Worksheet.Range() and Worksheet.Cells(), which we have shown to have distinct differences. Since Josh didn't state either way, I think this remains on topic.

I find Range.Cells() useful whilst I find Range.Range() nothing short of confusing. ie. Which cell does this refer to?
Code:
Debug.Print Range("E23").Range("D4").Address
I don't think it's particularly obvious. Does anyone use Range.Range()?!
Of course, in this situation Offset() also comes into the equation, but I think that's best left for another thread.

Last edited by Colin Legg; 08-27-2009 at 03:46 PM.
Old 08-27-2009, 07:33 PM
Senior Contributor

I appreciate all the feedback and will take these points under advisement in future coding. I can see the primary advantage beging the looping of Columns.

If Google = NoHelp Then PostHere = True
Old 08-28-2009, 02:23 AM
Junior Contributor

Quote:
Does anyone use Range.Range()?!
One might be tempted to use the (Cell1 As Range, Cell2 As Range) parameter version, but one really shouldn't, as the effects are quite insidious.
Code:
    With Range("B2:E5")
        .Value = "abc"

Range(Cells(2, 2), Cells(3, 3)).Font.Bold = True               'refers to B2:C3
        .Range(Cells(2, 2), Cells(3, 3)).Font.ColorIndex = 3           'refers to C3:D4
        Range(.Cells(2, 2), .Cells(3, 3)).Font.Italic = True           'refers to C3:D4
        .Range(.Cells(2, 2), .Cells(3, 3)).Font.Strikethrough = True   'refers to D4:E5 (!)

End With
As you mentioned, Excel gives us .Offset() and .Resize(), and I'll usually use those for creating sub-Ranges.
Old 09-09-2009, 09:11 AM
Out Of Office

Retired Moderator
* Expert *

Quote:
Originally Posted by kassyopeia View Post
I'll keep it rolling with a few tidbits:
  • Both .Cells() and .Range() return a Range-class object. The object comes in three "flavours", Cells, Rows, and Columns. We discussed that in depth here. It seems that .Range() always returns the Cells flavour (Excel-2002-sized Sheet):
A late thought. A fourth flavour, Areas?
Old 09-09-2009, 09:55 AM
Junior Contributor

Areas seem to be implemented differently:
Code:
Dim r As Range: Set r = Excel.Application.Union(Sheet1.Range("B2:C3"), Sheet1.Range("E5:F6"))

Debug.Print TypeName(r.Cells)   'Range
Debug.Print TypeName(r.Rows)    'Range
Debug.Print TypeName(r.Columns) 'Range
Debug.Print TypeName(r.Areas)   'Areas
Quote:
Areas Collection

A collection of the areas, or contiguous blocks of cells, within a selection. There’s no singular Area object; individual members of the Areas collection are Range objects. The Areas collection contains one Range object for each discrete, contiguous range of cells within the selection. If the selection contains only one area, the Areas collection contains a single Range object that corresponds to that selection.
Old 09-09-2009, 12:16 PM
Out Of Office

Retired Moderator
* Expert *

Ah, of course you're right. My bad.
Old 09-09-2009, 01:40 PM
Junior Contributor

Quote:
My bad.
Not at all, thanks for bringing it up. I don't remember considering discontiguous ranges in this respect before, so I learned something new by checking on your thought.