Go Back  Xtreme Visual Basic Talk > Visual Basic .NET (2002/2003/2005/2008, including Express editions) > .NET Office Automation > Incompatible Excel versions?

Old 05-28-2010, 11:25 AM
Newcomer

Default Incompatible Excel versions?

I wrote a windows application in VB Net to read some data and create an Excel spreadsheet. It references the Excel 12.0 object library and adds the appropriate office.interop.excel.dll to the msi file in my installer project. (.NET 2.0 framework).

When I install on a machine with Office 2007, the program runs without a problem.

When I install on a machine with Office 2003, the program runs to the point where I attempt to open the Excel application. I get an error message: "Attempted to read or write protected memory. This is often an indication that other memory is corrupt."

Is there a solution to this incompatibility? I suppose I could reference an older Excel object library, and save my file as XLS instead of XLSX.
Old 05-28-2010, 12:36 PM
Microsoft Excel MVP

Forum Leader
* Guru *

Hi Tom,

Welcome to the forum.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Menacher View Post
Is there a solution to this incompatibility? I suppose I could reference an older Excel object library, and save my file as XLS instead of XLSX.
Yes, exactly.

If you can't get access to an older Excel 2003 object model, then you could download and install the Excel 2003 PIA Redistributable Package and then reference that:

(1) Excel 2003 PIA Redistributable Package (instructions)
(2) Excel 2003 PIA Redistributable Package (download)

Hope this helps!
Mike

Tags
excel 2003, excel 2007