Go Back  Xtreme Visual Basic Talk > Legacy Visual Basic (VB 4/5/6) > VBA / Office Integration > Excel > Excel VBA If OR statements

Old 06-25-2010, 01:28 PM
Senior Contributor

Default Excel VBA If OR statements

When you write a statement like:

If x = 1 or x =2 or x =3 then
else
endif

Does VBA check the first condition and if x = 1, it doesnt check the other two conditions? Or does it still check the other two?

If Google = NoHelp Then PostHere = True
Old 06-25-2010, 02:13 PM
Centurion

as far as i can tell there is no way to tell as vba looks as a whole line at time;
why would you want to know this???

Record a macro if your not sure how things work!
Old 06-25-2010, 02:29 PM
Hydrogen Powered

Administrator
* Expert *

I assume that VBA behaves the same way as VB6 - ALL of the conditions are evaluated and then those logical results are ORed together.

This is different from how some C compilers would perform the test where they would only evaluate each condition left to right until a TRUE result was found.
"With the appearance of the AddressOf operator, an entire industry has developed among authors illustrating how to do previously impossible tasks using Visual Basic. Another industry is rapidly developing among consultants helping users who have gotten into trouble attempting these tasks." -Dan Appleman
Old 06-25-2010, 02:31 PM
Senior Contributor

Okay thanks, I only ask because if a second logical errors out then I am thinking if it reads the whole line, the whole line will error out and that you cannot put the first logical code that doesnt error at the front to avoid it from trying to run the second OR. Just trying to save myself from adding an extra two lines of code.

Old 06-25-2010, 03:07 PM
Hydrogen Powered

Administrator
* Expert *

Correct you are - as an example to those reading this later on:

Code:
Dim bValue as Boolean Dim i as Integer Dim lArray(10) as Long Dim lptr as Long bValue = False i = 42 lptr = 11 If bValue OR i > 5 OR lArray(lptr) = 1492 Then 'do something EndIf
The line with the IF statement will throw an error due to the attempt to access a non-existent element of lArray.
"With the appearance of the AddressOf operator, an entire industry has developed among authors illustrating how to do previously impossible tasks using Visual Basic. Another industry is rapidly developing among consultants helping users who have gotten into trouble attempting these tasks." -Dan Appleman
Old 06-25-2010, 07:52 PM
Senior Contributor

Think you meant to set bValue = True, but yeah even so ... i see it does still throw the error. So I guess, just trial and error. It seems like a waste for VBA to read the entire line and not just step through the OR and stop once it finds a true value.

Old 06-26-2010, 01:49 PM
Out Of Office

Retired Moderator
* Expert *

You're right, Josh: short-circuiting would be more efficient. Of course the same idea applies for And - if a False condition is met then what's the point in evaluating the rest of the line?

In VB .Net OrElse and AndAlso have been introduced which do exactly that. For a while I wondered why these new keywords were necessary - why not just introduce the short-circuiting to Or and And?

One situation that has been suggested would be where you have functions being called on the line, with each function doing something and then returning True or False. ie.
Code:
If DoSomething1 Or DoSomething2 Or DoSomething3 Then
It might be that the coder expects (or requires) all three functions to do their stuff. Short-circuiting would mean that didn't happen and therefore there might be issues with VB6 --> VB.Net conversions , so the new keywords for short-circuiting were required. I'm not saying I necessarily agree with that way of coding in the first place, just that this is one explanation I've been given.