Go Back  Xtreme Visual Basic Talk > Legacy Visual Basic (VB 4/5/6) > VBA / Office Integration > Excel > Excel VBA GetObject(,"Word.Application")

Old 06-30-2010, 02:27 PM
Senior Contributor

Default Excel VBA GetObject(,"Word.Application")

If using:
Code:
Set wdApp = GetObject(, "Word.Application")
To set an object reference to an already open word app, how do you control which word app it grabs hold of? In some instances there are two processes (word apps, containers) running at the same time. This should obviously grab the first, but what if I want the second one?

If Google = NoHelp Then PostHere = True
Old 06-30-2010, 06:34 PM
Freshman

Code:
 Set wdApp = GetObject("C:\FilePath\FileName.doc")
Old 07-01-2010, 12:36 AM
Senior Contributor

It seems this Word document is being created on the fly, so i dont think it has a path, unless the program (whos code i cant access) that is being used to create the word document is saving it somewhere

Old 07-01-2010, 08:53 PM
Freshman

Ok, if you know the document name you could use the name of the open item minus any path.. for example:
Code:
oWdApp = GetObject("Document1")
If you have multiple documents open and do not know what the names are, you would have to perform some type of check to verify it's the document you are looking for.. but something like this would work:
Code:
Set oWdApp = GetObject(, "Word.Application")
Do Until oWdApp.Documents.Count = 0 
oWdApp.Documents(1).Close
Loop
That would iterate through the open documents and close them all. You could do something like a For Each.. depends what u are doing with them.

Hope this helps.
Old 07-05-2010, 01:46 PM
Senior Contributor

Okay that information would be helpful I think. Im not sure but I think part of the reason I was not able to get working what I needed is that the document was pw protected so as soon as i added code to unprotect it, i was able to withdraw data from the formfields. Either that or maybe i was typing something wrong =p

Old 07-05-2010, 02:47 PM
Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Josh Hazel View Post
If using:
Code:
To set an object reference to an already open word app, how do you control which word app it grabs hold of? In some instances there are two processes (word apps, containers) running at the same time. This should obviously grab the first, but what if I want the second one?
You don't, the system manages it.
Old 07-05-2010, 03:30 PM
Senior Contributor

That was part of our discussion. If you check processes open, it seems as though I sometimes have 2 x WinWord.exe processes running. Which means if it grabs the first instance automatically, its going to possibly grab the wrong instance. If I am incorrect please elaborate.

Old 07-16-2010, 07:06 PM
Senior Contributor

So, I sorta figured a work around since I wasnt able to specificy what instance of the Word App to get. First of all, I found out that the WinWord.exe that it was grabbing, was not even Visible meaning i could only close it through task manager.

I have yet to determine if it was my prog (bad code) causing this or another prog. Anyway, to resolve this I just:

Code:
'Set application instance

'Check if there is an extra app process running, if is then close it
If wdApp.Visible = False Then
    wdApp.Quit False
    Set wdApp = Nothing
End If

simply just quite the app thats not visible, then regrab the next app - works for me so far