Go Back  Xtreme Visual Basic Talk > Visual Basic .NET (2002/2003/2005/2008, including Express editions) > .NET Office Automation > Check if Workbook is Open

Old 07-26-2010, 12:54 PM
Newcomer

Default Check if Workbook is Open

Good afternoon, everyone!

Does anyone have a suggestion for how I might check to see if a specific Excel Workbook (call it Test.xlsx) is open?

I have a routine that calls a subroutine. Sometimes at the time of the call Test.xlsx is open, sometimes not. So when the subroutine runs, I need it to check first to see if Test.xlsx is open. If it isn't then the subroutine should open it and perform the subroutine's purpose operations. If it is open, it should not try to "re-open" it or worse open a copy of it; it should simply perform the subroutine's purpose operations.

Any ideas? Thanks in advance for your help!
Old 07-27-2010, 04:35 PM
Out Of Office

Retired Moderator
* Expert *

Hi,

I assume this is VB.Net?

There are various levels of complexity to this sort of question - is the workbook open in a single Excel instance, is it open in any of multiple Excel instances, is it open on another user's PC, etc?

It sounds like this is the simplist scenario where you need to check whether the workbook is open in an Excel instance you already have a reference to. You can build a simple function to loop through the Workbooks collection, checking each member in turn for a match.

Hope that helps...
Old 08-11-2010, 08:52 AM
Newcomer

Colin,

Sorry it took so long to get back to you. I have been away from the office. I am running VB.Net using Visual Studio 2010.

To answer your question: It would only be open on my computer as it's not connected to a network. There may or may not be other instances of Excel open.

I think I understand what you mean by looping through the Workbooks collection, but that would beg the question of how do I establish the reference to the particular instance of Excel.

Thanks for any help!

Cheers!
Old 08-13-2010, 07:00 AM
Microsoft Excel MVP

Forum Leader
* Guru *

I don't know of a source for .NET, but the following should get you started:

http://www.xcelfiles.com/IsFileOpen.html

-- Mike

Tags
excel is open, workbook is open