Go Back  Xtreme Visual Basic Talk > Visual Basic .NET (2002/2003/2005/2008, including Express editions) > .NET General > windows explorer context menu

Old 09-04-2010, 05:41 AM
Contributor

Default windows explorer context menu

i used the code below to register a menu item in the Explorer context menu. Aldo this works just fine there is one problem with it. When i select multiple files and then press the button my application is fired up multiple times. Now what i would like is to it to be fired once and then pass on the multiple files that where selected...
any idea'?

Code:
''' <summary>
        ''' 
        ''' </summary>
        ''' <remarks></remarks>
        Public Shared Sub RegisterMyApp()
            'full path to self, %L is placeholder for selected file
            Dim MenuCommand As String = String.Format("{0} {1}", Chr(34) & Application.ExecutablePath & Chr(34), Chr(34) & "%L" & Chr(34))
            Register(KeyName, MenuCaption, MenuCommand)
        End Sub
        ''' <summary>
        ''' 
        ''' </summary>
        ''' <param name="ShellKeyName">Registry key name</param>
        ''' <param name="MenuCaption">Text that will appeare in context menu</param>
        ''' <param name="MenuCommand">Command</param>
        ''' <remarks></remarks>
        Public Shared Sub Register(ByVal ShellKeyName As String, ByVal MenuCaption As String, ByVal MenuCommand As String)
            If Not (String.IsNullOrEmpty(ShellKeyName) And _
                    String.IsNullOrEmpty(MenuCaption) And _
                    String.IsNullOrEmpty(MenuCaption)) Then
                ' create full path to registry location
                Dim regPath As String = String.Format("{0}\shell\{1}", "*", ShellKeyName)
                ' add context menu to the registry
                Using key As RegistryKey = Registry.ClassesRoot.CreateSubKey(regPath)
                    key.SetValue(Nothing, MenuCaption)
                End Using
                ' add command that is invoked to the registry
                Using key As RegistryKey = Registry.ClassesRoot.CreateSubKey(String.Format("{0}\command", regPath))
                    key.SetValue(Nothing, MenuCommand)
                End Using
            End If
        End Sub
        ''' <summary>
        ''' Unregister a simple shell context menu.
        ''' </summary>
        ''' <param name="shellKeyName">Name that was registered in the registry.</param>
        Public Shared Sub Unregister(ByVal ShellKeyName As String)
            If Not String.IsNullOrEmpty(ShellKeyName) Then
                ' full path to the registry location			
                ' remove context menu from the registry
                Registry.ClassesRoot.DeleteSubKeyTree(regPath)
            End If
        End Sub
thank you in advance
Goggy

utterly useless, but always trying to help
Old 09-04-2010, 06:41 PM
Fabulous Florist

Forum Leader
* Guru *

I don't think there's a way to do that via the registry/shell extensions. I'm pretty sure the correct way to do it is to write your application as a single-instance application, and have the StartupNextInstance event look for command-line arguments and open the document if they're there.
Old 09-05-2010, 01:36 AM
Contributor

Thank you Ataweapon for the "missing link", ill take a look and see if i cant get it to work like i intended.

Got it to work like i wanted....
Your a Genius! thank you!

Last edited by Goggy; 09-05-2010 at 06:20 AM.
Old 09-06-2010, 12:29 AM
Contributor

Default 14 Files....

I do have one additional question do, under windows 7 i cant select more then 14 files, anything after that and my button disappears from the context menu. Under windows xp on the other hand i get a nice notification(something like selecting 18 files to... might result in system slowing up). Is there something i am missing in windows 7? i would like to be able to select more then just 14 files.

Old 09-07-2010, 10:21 AM
Fabulous Florist

Forum Leader
* Guru *

I think I found the answer, but haven't experimented. I was surprised it only took me two web searches; I figured it'd take some esoteric combination of keywords that would take days to stumble upon.

This is kind of shaky but might actually end up working. Creating Shortcut Menu Handlers is a remarkably useful topic that I wish I'd found earlier. Look for the "Employing the Verb Selection Model" section near the end. It looks like the default verb is probably "Document", which is listed as having a limit of 15 items in both "legacy" and "COM" implementations of the shortcut menu handler. Switch the verb to "Player", and you get 100 or unlimited selections.

I'm not exactly sure how you use the COM implementation to get unlimited items, but 100 might be good enough for you. You might be able to use that document to get to something that's more help.
Old 09-07-2010, 10:49 AM
Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by AtmaWeapon View Post
I think I found the answer, but haven't experimented. I was surprised it only took me two web searches; I figured it'd take some esoteric combination of keywords that would take days to stumble upon.
Again thank you for all you help, now lets see i can't get it to work for 100 items...

Code:
        Public Shared Sub Register(ByVal ShellKeyName As String, ByVal MenuCaption As String, ByVal MenuCommand As String)
            If Not (String.IsNullOrEmpty(ShellKeyName) And _
                    String.IsNullOrEmpty(MenuCaption) And _
                    String.IsNullOrEmpty(MenuCaption)) Then
                ' create full path to registry location
                ' add context menu to the registry
                    key.SetValue(Nothing, MenuCaption, RegistryValueKind.String)
                End Using
                    key.SetValue("MultiSelectModel", "Player", RegistryValueKind.String)
                End Using
                ' add command that is invoked to the registry
                Using key As RegistryKey = Registry.ClassesRoot.CreateSubKey(String.Format("{0}\command", regPath))
                    key.SetValue(Nothing, MenuCommand)
                End Using
            End If
        End Sub
Like Atma mentioned, the code piece in red was all that was needed to get the context menu to work for 100 entries

Last edited by Goggy; 09-07-2010 at 11:35 AM. Reason: got it to work...