Go Back  Xtreme Visual Basic Talk > Visual Basic .NET (2002/2003/2005/2008, including Express editions) > .NET Game Programming > Dynamically add objects to a form

Old 12-27-2011, 04:38 PM
Newcomer

Default Dynamically add objects to a form

Trying to dynamically add Alien objects (Picture boxes) to my game form. The picture boxes are invisible when I run the game. All of the other controls for the picture box seen to work just fine. Movement, Alien Shots ,etc, etc. Any and all help would be most appreciated.

Const NumOfAliens As Integer = 20
Dim MoveAliens1(NumOfAliens) As Boolean
Dim Aliens(NumOfAliens) As PictureBox
Dim x As Integer

Private Sub loadAliens()
' Dynamically adds aliens

For Me.x = 1 To NumOfAliens
Aliens(x) = New PictureBox
Aliens(x).Image = My.Resources.Alien
Aliens(x).Width = 50
Aliens(x).Height = 50
Aliens(x).BackColor = Color.Transparent
Aliens(x).Left = (-50 * x) + (x * 5)
Controls.Add(Aliens(x))
Next
End Sub

Private Sub FlightPath()
' controls direction of regular alien flight
For Me.x = 1 To NumOfAliens
If MoveAliens1(x) = True Then
Aliens(x).Left -= AlienSpeed
End If
Next
End Sub
Old 12-28-2011, 09:44 AM
Sinecure Expert

Super Moderator
* Guru *

Well, I don't know.
There isn't enough code there to say for sure, but it looks like you place all the Aliens outside the window at first (-50 * X) + (5*X) ??

And, assuming AlienSpeed is positive, you move them further outside the window (subtracting speed from position).
Aliens(x).Left -= AlienSpeed

I'm not sure how you could tell that the pictureboxes are not visible since, from the given code, you never position them where you can see if they are visible or not.

Last edited by passel; 12-28-2011 at 09:56 AM.
Old 12-28-2011, 10:51 AM
Newcomer

Yes, the picture boxes do start outside of the window and Aliens(x).left-= AlienSpeed brings them into the playing field window. MoveAlien2 is true when the Aliens(x) is over the little man walking on the ground, MoveAlien2 moves Aliens(x).top += 2 * AlienSpeed until Aliens(x).top + Aliens(x).height = PixSprite.top, then MoveAlien2=false and MoveAlien3=true.
When MoveAlien3= true the Aliens(x)-= AlienSpeed which brings Aliens(x),carrying the pixSprite back to the top of the window. Once the Aliens(x) reaches the top of the window with the pixSprite, pixSprite.visible=false and MoveAlien4=true.
MoveAlien4 changes the Aliens(x) picture and the Aliens(x) movement to be magnetized to the pixShooter.
When I start the game up, I can see the Aliens(x) shots, so I have an idea of where Aliens(x) position is. I can also see the pixSprite move to the top of the window when MoveAlien3=true, once moveAlien4 is true, it only takes a couple of seconds for the Aliens(x) to hit the pixShooter and end the game.
Based on what I see when I start the game, the code is working how I want it to, I just can't see the dynamically created picture boxes.

Although Aliens(x) start out at the left side of the window,once they hit a certain negative position they spawn on the far right side of the map, PixSprite moves in the opposite direction as the Aliens(x) and once it hits 2000 it spawns back at 1.
I also have the background image scroll either left or right depending on pixShooter direction

Last edited by Lotokill2; 12-28-2011 at 11:14 AM.
Old 12-28-2011, 05:38 PM
Newcomer

I Moved the background image half way down the form to expose the location where the Aliens(x) should be spawning at.

The Aliens(x) were in fact spawning in the right location, however, they were spawning on top of each other. I modified the code and now they spawn exactly where they should ,which brings me to my next question.

How do you " Bring To Front" a dynamically created picture box?
Old 12-29-2011, 02:43 PM
Sinecure Expert

Super Moderator
* Guru *

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lotokill2 View Post
...,which brings me to my next question.
How do you " Bring To Front" a dynamically created picture box?
Uhh..., Aliens(x).BringToFront()

{after you've added it to the form's controls, of course}

Last edited by passel; 12-29-2011 at 02:48 PM.
Old 12-29-2011, 05:48 PM
Newcomer

Yes , I found that code earlier today on msdn.microsoft.com

Thank you again for all of your help