Go Back  Xtreme Visual Basic Talk > General Discussion > Tech Discussions > Programming fonts including monospaced, fixed width

Old 12-29-2011, 10:58 AM
Contributor

Default Programming fonts including monospaced, fixed width

I did a search for "fonts" in the TD forum and its been a few years since the topic of programming font preferences came up.
I'm wondering if anything has changed in terms of what programming fonts forum members are using?

Here's the old TD programming font discussion threads I found:
(2006) Monospace fonts compared
(2007) New fonts for the old console

I've gone through many fonts over the years starting withe the old MsSansSerif (ugly but fits a lot of code on the screen at 6 points).
Also used Courier, FixedSys, Arial Narrow, Terminal, Terminus, MiscFixed, Lucida family fonts, Andale Mono, AnonymousPro, Monaco, Bitstream Vera Sans Mono, ProFont, Raize, Sheldon Narrow, Proggy fonts, Segoe, Consolas, and Inconsolata.

The last two are the ones I've been playing around with most recently..

Some off-site discussion threads on programming fonts that people have used/prefer:
SitePoint List: 10 of the best programming fonts
JoelonSoftware (foggycreek blog) The best font for programming
Ars Technica: Monospaced/Fixed-width fonts discussion

Font download pages:
Consolas, ProFont and Sheldon (2), Proggy fonts, Terminus, Anonymous fonts, Andale (at bottom of listed fonts), MiscFixed, Monaco for windows, Inconsolata

Re: Segoe (and related Zegoe/Zune) font for WinXp users
Microsoft actually screwed up back in 2007 and released the Segoe font files along with a document entitled “Print Ad for Microsoft Dynamics Business Management Solutions Brief Description“ - you can read about it here.

As noted on the "Availability" section of the Segoe wiki page:
Quote:
The Segoe UI font family can be obtained as part of Microsoft Office 2007 or Windows Vista. Certain Segoe fonts, but not Segoe UI, were included in Windows XP Media Center Edition 2005, replacing Trebuchet MS. Segoe UI is installed into Windows XP if the user installs Microsoft Reader, Windows Live Mail, Microsoft Word Viewer, or Microsoft PowerPoint Viewer 2007 all of which are available as free downloads.
..there is also a section on that page which describes the controversy when Microsoft tried to register it with the EU and got rejected because it was too similar to the Monotype/Linotype Frutiger font.

So the Segoe font is out there and works quite well under WinXp, but I'm not going to provide a direct link.

Did you know, though, that Microsoft released some WP7 UI design templates as psd (photoshop) files. The "design template" link is on this page (along with a "WP7 Fonts.zip" attachment designed to accompany it).

Last edited by surfR2911; 12-29-2011 at 11:47 AM.
Old 12-29-2011, 11:17 AM
Multi-Technologist

Super Moderator
* Expert *

I'm a bit out-of-touch with fonts, so also would be curious what others are using.

You're welcome to use my FontTool (VB6) to inspect what you have: http://www.xtremevbtalk.com/showpost...85&postcount=8
My Intel Paxville CPUs (dual socket) are supported by Windows 8.0 (which patch support ends for on Jan. 12 2016), but are not supported by Windows 8.1 due to a lack of a PrefetchW instruction. This instruction could be patched out with a NOP for borderline CPUs, if Microsoft chose to. So, Windows 7 it is.
Old 12-29-2011, 01:33 PM
Fabulous Florist

Forum Leader
* Guru *

I use Consolas and haven't dabbled with much else. Before Consolas was available I used Courier New or whatever VS defaulted to. There were a couple of times where I went to the trouble of downloading different fonts but I spend a good bit of time at other people's desks and the shock of seeing different fonts made it worth sticking to defaults for me. Same with color schemes; every time I change to a new scheme I go back after I have to look over someone else's shoulder a couple of times.
Old 12-29-2011, 08:03 PM
Underclocked lifestyle

Forum Leader
* Guru *

Yep, Consolas here and standard colors. I learned long ago there are diminishing returns to screwing around with these things, after sinking lots of time I always go back.

Some of the stuff the non-Windows guys think is great looks kinda sad to me, but I suppose it might be the Windows implementations too.
Old 12-29-2011, 11:03 PM
Ultimate Contributor

Retired Leader
* Expert *

Check out Simon Tatham's two fonts. These are clean sharp bitmap format fonts that you may happen to like.

http://www.chiark.greenend.org.uk/~sgtatham/fonts/

Michael Karas