Go Back  Xtreme Visual Basic Talk > Legacy Visual Basic (VB 4/5/6) > VBA / Office Integration > Word, PowerPoint, Outlook, and Other Office Products > howto find next empty cell in an excel worksheet?

Old 08-12-2002, 02:58 AM
Echo15

Question howto find next empty cell in an excel worksheet?

Hi!

I'm making this program that writes to an excel file to keep a summary of information. I used the Excel object library as a reference and I can open the excel file.

My problem is how can I find the next empty cell in a column so I know where to append the next information?

Hope someone can help....

Thanks!!
Old 08-12-2002, 05:15 AM
Junior Contributor

This code finds the next empty cell in the workbook. I don't think its quite what you're looking for but it is a start

Code:
Dim lRealLastRow As Long
Dim lRealLastColumn As Long
Range("A1").Select
On Error Resume Next
lRealLastRow = Cells.Find("*", Range("A1"), xlFormulas, , xlByRows, xlPrevious).Row
lRealLastColumn = Cells.Find("*", Range("A1"), xlFormulas, , xlByColumns, xlPrevious).Column
Cells(lRealLastRow + 1, lRealLastColumn).Select
hope this helps
Old 08-15-2002, 08:48 AM
Contributor

Another option. Go to the first populated cell in the column you want and issue the 'End+Down' comparable commmand. That will take you to the last populated cell in that column. Then you just have to move to the next row.
Code:
'Assumes no blank rows within your data Range("A1").Select Selection.End(xlDown).Select ActiveCell.Offset(1, 0).Select
Code:
'If your data contains blank rows within it Range("A1").Select Do Until ActiveCell.Row = 65536 Selection.End(xlDown).Select Loop Selection.End(xlUp).Select ActiveCell.Offset(1, 0).Select
Nate
Old 08-15-2002, 12:55 PM
spike2907

This routine will move down each cell in the column until it finds an empty one. NB: In the statement cells(row,1) The number 1 refers to the column number eg. 'column "A" = 1, "B" = 2 etc.

Row = 1 'start at row 1
Do While Cells(Row,1) < > " "
Cells(Row,1).activate
Row = Row + 1
Loop

Regards Tracey
Old 08-15-2002, 01:53 PM
Contributor

Quote:
Do While Cells(Row,1) < > " "
You are looking here for the cell to contain a space. Using this method, use double-doubles to find a blank cell.
Code:
Do While Cells(Row,1) < > ""
Also, while I've used this method frequently, my earlier posted method is MUCH FASTER for larger sheets (anything over 100 or 200 rows). Once you get to thousands of rows, this method starts taking serious time.

Nate
Old 08-15-2002, 06:35 PM
Echo15

Thanks everyone!

I'll have to try these out.....