Go Back  Xtreme Visual Basic Talk > Legacy Visual Basic (VB 4/5/6) > General > Variable lists in combo boxes

Old 10-06-2002, 02:13 AM
CyberiaJohn

Default Variable lists in combo boxes

Hi all, I was wondering if anyone could help me with something, I couldn't find my specific problem using the search. I'm not a newbie at VB but I'm not an expert either, so . . .

I have a form with 2 combo boxes on it. The user will select 1 of 2 selections in the first combo box. If they select the first item in the first combo box, I want a certain list of items to show up in the second combo box. If the user selects the second item in the first combo box, then I want an entirely different list of things to appear in the second combo box.

Problem: I can seem to get *anything* to appear in the 2nd combo box! I am trying to control what happens in the 2nd combo box in the code for the 1st combo box - after all, that's where the list for the 2nd combo box will be determined.

Here is my code:

First combo box:

Private Sub Combo1_Change()
If ListIndex = 0 Then
Combo2.AddItem "Population"
Combo2.ListIndex = 0 ' the VB documentation said to add this
Else
Combo2.AddItem "Pop_state"
Combo2.AddItem "SqrKm_state"
Combo2.ListIndex = 0 ' ditto
End If
End Sub

At this point I'm not worried about code for my 2nd combo box, I just want the right selections to show up in the list!

Any help is appreciated.
Old 10-06-2002, 02:22 AM
Centurion

Use the code in Click event of combo box
Old 10-06-2002, 02:25 AM
Contributor

This should work

Code:
Private Sub Combo1_Click() Combo2.Clear If Combo1.ListIndex = 0 Then Combo2.AddItem "Population" 'Combo2.ListIndex = 0 End If If Combo1.ListIndex = 1 Then Combo2.Clear Combo2.AddItem "Pop_state" Combo2.AddItem "SqrKm_state" 'Combo2.ListIndex = 0 ' ditto End If End Sub
Old 10-06-2002, 09:31 PM
CyberiaJohn

Thanks, it worked!

LOL I feel like such an amateur. Maybe I should hang out here more often.