Go Back  Xtreme Visual Basic Talk > Legacy Visual Basic (VB 4/5/6) > General > reading another program's memory

Old 10-31-2002, 09:20 AM
sierra4546

Default reading another program's memory

Ok here's the deal. I work for a company where we need to gather information from one program and bring it into our own program. The programs that I am trying to capture data from are terminal emulations (reflections, rumba...) Currently we are trying to do this with the clipboard but it is very slow and cumbersom. The other issue is that not all emulators allow access to the clipboard.
What I would like to be able to do is to read the emulation screen directly from memory. I know that the emulation programs store the screen at the same offset from the begining of the program. What I need is to be able to find the begining of a another program in memory and then read memory locations from that offset. I would like to be able to do this in VB6 if possible.

As I see it i have 3 options:

1) find the program and read the memory
2) load the program within my programs memory and read the memory
3) Write a C based DLL to do the memory reads and use the data in VB

My problem is i really don't know how to do any of these. So if anyone has any suggestions that would be great.
Thanks