Go Back  Xtreme Visual Basic Talk > Legacy Visual Basic (VB 4/5/6) > VBA / Office Integration > Word, PowerPoint, Outlook, and Other Office Products > SMTP from Global Address List -- thought I was there

Old 03-18-2003, 02:08 PM
Junior Contributor

Default SMTP from Global Address List -- thought I was there

I'm trying to use VBA to get the SMTP address out of our Exchange Server 5.5. First, looking at the properties of the AddressEntry object, I see there isn't a simple way to do this. So, I start to play with the .Address property, and I see that the parts of the SMTP address are buried in the internal address string:
/o=blah.blah/ou=blah/cn=blah blah blah/cn=UserName
At first, I thought I could parse out and concat the SMTP from this. However, there are flaws in the consistency of how this string is put together. I did a search here, and found a few threads , but the only suggestion was to use CDO. The help I found seemed to be all about using VBScript in Outlook. I want to use VBA in Access to build records for a table.

Any clues? Anything you can point me to?

Old 03-18-2003, 04:48 PM
Junior Contributor

Well, I didn't know it, but some of the code I've borrowed in this effort is CDO. In the Outlook GUI, the Properties sheet for each AddressEntry in the GAL has a tab -- Email Addresses. On that tab is a listbox that shows, among other things, the SMTP address. Realizing that the Library offered by Outlook for automation does not include a full object model, I guess my question is, is the Outlook client GUI the only way to see this data?

Old 03-19-2003, 11:27 AM
Senior Contributor

* Expert *

ADSI, CDO and other Exchange directory oriented API's will allow you to look at that information (I believe).
CDOLive.com or Slipstick.com would be the 2 sites I would try (after the MS Knowledge base).

As you have found out, you are at the limit of knowledge here - so you will need to do some careful digging and searching....

You will not (unless you are very lucky with the Exchange set-up and configuration) be able to get a valid SMTP address from the \CN= format.
Old 03-19-2003, 12:52 PM
Junior Contributor

Well, I was lucky a few times, getting valid SMTP addresses from that string. Got my hopes up. Oh well. I'll check the sites you mentioned.

thx!

Old 03-19-2003, 01:44 PM
Variable not defined

Retired Moderator
* Guru *

Quote:
Originally Posted by strBean
Well, I was lucky a few times, getting valid SMTP addresses from that string. Got my hopes up. Oh well. I'll check the sites you mentioned.
Hey strBean,

How have you been? Would you mind giving me some examples of ones that you didn't get valid addresses for. I'll take a look and see if I can give you the valid SMTP address back. If you want you can send them by PM.
Old 03-19-2003, 01:51 PM
Junior Contributor

Hey! Carl, not too bad, h'bout y'self?

Yes, I'd be happy to PM a bunch of Address strings to you, if you want to puzzle & parse.

Thanks!
Old 03-19-2003, 02:08 PM
Variable not defined

Retired Moderator
* Guru *

Quote:
Originally Posted by strBean
Hey! Carl, not too bad, h'bout y'self?
Yes, I'd be happy to PM a bunch of Address strings to you, if you want to puzzle & parse.
Thanks!
Pretty good.
I'm expecting to be working on something like this in a few weeks, and the initials tests that I've done at my work have all worked out fine. Getting some possible problem ones are just what I'm looking for.
Old 03-19-2003, 02:10 PM
Junior Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wamphyri
Pretty good.
I'm expecting to be working on something like this in a few weeks, and the initials tests that I've done at my work have all worked out fine.
Probably because at your organization, there is a clearer configuration standard.

PM follows!
Old 03-19-2003, 02:26 PM
Junior Contributor

You know, Outlook displays a "properties" sheet for each AddressEntry. There's a tab that says "E-mail Addresses" and it's a listbox with various values, one of which is "smtp: (emailaddress)"

I get the distinct feeling that the object in MS Exchange (where these "properties" comes from) is not exposed by the CDO model. Somebody prove me wrong, please.