Go Back  Xtreme Visual Basic Talk > Legacy Visual Basic (VB 4/5/6) > General > Redim Preserve Multi Dimensional Array

Old 06-03-2003, 05:19 PM
Centurion

Default Redim Preserve Multi Dimensional Array

I have an array myArray(2,6). I need to add data to this array at a later time but I need it to be myArray(5,10). Is there a way to do this?

I've read you can only resize the last array dimension and you can't change the number of dimensions at all.

I have seen somewhere that you can swap the columns and rows to be like myArray(6,2) then increase it to myArray(6,5) then swap back myArray(5,6).

Has anyone seen this?

Doese anyone have a work around for this?
Old 06-03-2003, 05:45 PM
MetaCenturion

Retired Moderator
* Guru *

I think you've seen wrong... you cannot redimension preserve a multidimensional array... however...
you can get away with this by creating a UDT array... and make an array of these.
e.g.
Code:
Private Type IntegerArray
  Elements() As Integer
End Type
Dim IntegerAA() As IntegerArray

Redim Preserve IntegerAA(0 To 5)
For X = 0 To 5
  Redim Preserve IntegerAA(X).Elements(0 To 6)
Next
a bit messy, but effective.

Iceplug, USN
Quadrill 1 Quadrill 2 (full) Quadrill 3 JumpCross .NET Website is ALIVE! - DL Platform Tour for VB.NET! Posting Guidelines Hint: Specify your location in your user cp profile if you want compassion!
Old 06-04-2003, 01:52 AM
Senior Contributor

* Expert *

You can Redim Preserve a mulitdimensional array but you may
only Redim Preserve it's last dimension:

Code:
Dim iArray() As Integer ReDim iArray(6, 2) ReDim Preserve iArray(6, 3) 'OK ReDim Preserve iArray(7, 2) 'Error

Anyway you can always use a temporary array to copy the values
before redimming. Example:

Code:
Private Sub Form_Load() Dim m As Integer Dim n As Integer Dim iArray() As Integer 'Original array Dim iTemp() As Integer 'Temporary array ReDim iArray(6, 2) ReDim iTemp(6, 2) 'Copy original array into temp array: For m = LBound(iArray, 1) To UBound(iArray, 1) 'Loop for 1st dimension For n = LBound(iArray, 2) To UBound(iArray, 2) 'Loop for 2nd dimension iTemp(m, n) = iArray(m, n) Next n Next m 'Redim original array (destroying it) ReDim iArray(10, 2) 'Put values back from temporary array For m = LBound(iTemp, 1) To UBound(iTemp, 1) 'Loop for 1st dimension For n = LBound(iTemp, 2) To UBound(iTemp, 2) 'Loop for 2nd dimension iArray(m, n) = iTemp(m, n) Next n Next m 'iArray's first dimension is now redimmed 'and the values have been preserved. End Sub