Go Back  Xtreme Visual Basic Talk > Legacy Visual Basic (VB 4/5/6) > Database and Reporting > How to overcome the NOT ALLOW NULL Error in datagrid?

Old 07-21-2003, 12:46 AM
Contributor

Question How to overcome the NOT ALLOW NULL Error in datagrid?

Usually I prefer to do all the data manipulation for my applications by writing codes. But now I need to find a very quick way to do insert, update, delete on a datagrid. So I just pulled a datagrid control on the form, set the datasource and datamember, it works fine for retrieve, update, and delete. But when it comes to insert, I got into problem. Because my application will be an order form, when you click on a button on the form, a new form will pop up with the datagrid. The datagrid will be a grid containing the contact numbers for the order (the relationship is one order form can have many contact person and numbers).

The query will be executed with an order ID as parameter in the where clause. The user will not be able to see the order ID as it will not be user-friendly to ask the users to key in the same order ID whenever they want to insert records into the contact table. The datagrid will display a blank row at the end so I just enter the contact person and contact number into the grid. But when I move the cursor down one row, VB will try to insert the record without knowing the order ID. Of course, it will generate an error message as order ID is defined as NOT NULL in SQL Server for the contact table.

So how can I overcome this problem so that whenever the user finished entering a new row into the datagrid and move to the next row, the order ID will go together with the other fields. I tried the BeforeInsert and AfterInsert events, but looks like they are triggered before actually inserting into the database.

Thanks.
Old 07-21-2003, 01:17 AM
Contributor

try this...

Code:
Private Sub DataGrid1_BeforeUpdate(Cancel As Integer)
    adodc1.Recordset("orderID") = orderid
End Sub
Old 07-21-2003, 06:09 AM
Contributor

Talking

Thanks for the idea!

It works fine but looks like some other actions will also trigger the BeforeUpdate event. It might be better to move your code to the OnAddNew event.